Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-19-2004, 02:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Can't keep snails in a bare bottom for to long or they will starve. As for corals, I'm not sure. I just keep fish and inverts. However with the ability to feed them in a qt tank, I'm sure its possible. Our LFS's seem to have those plastic perches for them. I would think one could employ a similar system.
I don't think anything other than fish are a big risk, but the potential is there IMO.
Lighting is another problem all together, one that the reefers could better help you with.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
it's not a bare bottom tank.....does it have to be? I never even thought of that. It is a 33g tank, one that i'v had running for years, and we'v up graded to a 120, and I thought I'd keep the 33 running for a qt tank, and keep just a few pieces of live rock, and substrate, to keep the tank in good condition incase needed for hospital, and use for qt.

still waiting for godot
supafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 04:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
for something like inverts or corals that would be fine, you would not be treating them with any meds. But if you qt a fish and the need arises to use meds, the substrate and any rock would need to go. Meds would kill the rock anyway and anything porous would absorb the meds and effect their potency.
Qt for fish needs to be bare bottom, you can use PVC elbows and such for them to hide. Here is a pic of my qt tank.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 08:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Actually experiments have shown ich requires a fish host. Without a host they will die. So considering the life cycle of ich, 6 weeks of QT or fishless display tank will make sure there is no ich in the system. (life cycle of ich is max about 30 days)

Ich doesn't enter the UV sterilizer, it lives. Ich (theront stage) that doesn't find a fish host in 24 hours will die. The usefulness of a UV sterilizer against ich is obvious.

The risk of ich cyst being carried on inverts, corals is small. But I don't think anybody has tried to place a probability on the likelihood. So you have to make your own choice whether to QT inverts and corals. It depends on how difficult it is for you to QT them.

QT has other benefits, like being in a stress-free environment to recover from transport, instead of being dumped into the main tank where there are animals that will irritate them before they are healthy. The disadvantage is that if you bought snails to eat algae, there most likely isn't any in the QT. You will have to feed them something else.

foob is offline   Reply With Quote

snail, snails, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com