Do I wait or try and "kick the ich" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeckledGrouper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just discovered my two blue hippo tangs to have two tiny white spots each, my cleaner wrasse has been trying to clean them off, they are very lively and eating good.
I have been feeding garlic soaked foods.
I have a liter of Ruby reef "Kick Ich" standing by.
None of the other fish show any spots.
Do I wait or do I dose?

I would try and qt them. I have a big problem right now and I am paying for it in a big way. I introduced a royal gramma into my system and skipped the QT step, primarily due to budget and also a bit of skepticism on my part. I always assumed that ich would never affect me and that it must be a rare phenomenon. Well she started scratching on rocks and then bang I had whitespots galore. I had to run out and buy a 20 gallon tank/heater/filter and medicine to get them quarantined. All three of my fish are now in the hospital and I am treating with cupramine. Its quite amazing how fast those white spots multiply, I would not take a chance. Good luck.

Trigger, that is what I am doing....The last time I QT'ed, I had a terrible fight with ammonia.
I have been feeding with garlic heavily and guess what? My cleaner wrasse has been their companion and been cleaning them off. I did a quick check this evening and I cannot see ANY spots on them, they look quiet happy as a matter of fact.
So the bottle of "Kick - Ich" is still closed....
Keep your fingers cross for me....

Sorry to tell but been there done that. It will not go away on its own. Qt is the answer. An ammonia battle is part of the game, just need to keep up with the water changes. The kick ich should go back to the store. Get credit towards a qt tank, you could treat with hypo.

Do not use the kick ich it is a wast of time money and effort. Also running your tank without a skimmer or doing a water change for 2 weeks does more harm than good to the rest of the tank. I really don't know what way to tell you to go on this. I have lost a hippo tang to ich dead fini gone he was real young but it was over and I did not QT him just waited it out. Also I have treatied a Powder Blue in Qt.. It died the 2nd night. And I have had a hippo now for about 4 months that every once in a while gets some spots(two or three) and always bounces right back no problems but he is much more mature. It also never effect anyone else in the tank. I know this is not what you are reading online and I am still trying to figure it out myself but I would tell you (Please Dont' flame me everyone else) if they are eating and acting normal leave them be. If they stop eating or start just being wierd get them to qt. Also set up the QT now so if you need it it's there. If any other fish show signs get them all to QT..It's not the standard advice but different fish seem to deal with it in different ways the main thing is get the QT up so if you need it its there and also do NOT USE COPPER use hyposalinity.

Doan

Everyone in the tank is doing fine. The "Blues Brothers" have no spots and their bellies are rounding....
All the other fish are good as always.
Guess I was lucky this time...
I think for now I am done with adding fish for a while, I am working on getting my pod population up, so I can get a Mandarin in about 6 months.

TriggerHappy said:
wait! last time i moved mine, they died in the qt. give it some time imo and see what develops.

Qt done correctly can/will save you tank. Water change are the key. Many of us have lost fish in qt, but many more of us have saved sytems with the use of qt.

Back
Top Bottom