Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do "reef safe" ich treatments work?

Does anyone have any experience with the so-called reef-safe ick treatments?

I can not catch this darned fish. I have read mixed reviews, but any info from anyone who's actually used one, or can tell me why I shouldn't, would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry sharon the reef safe meds dont work. You`ll need to read these on what to do. I`ll send you another link tonite when I get home on how to catch the fish.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Sorry sharon the reef safe meds dont work. You`ll need to read these on what to do. I`ll send you another link tonite when I get home on how to catch the fish.
i figured that, thanks i' will look at this again tonight.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

You can always catch a fish. You may have remove 185+ pounds of LR and coral to do it (me), but it can be done. Mike gave you all the right links, especially the last on on doing hyposalinity.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Get Out of My Tank! Fish Removal Tips & Tricks by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have another question. I have my fish in a 10-gallon sick tank now, and I'm treating with coppersafe. I did not move live rock into the sick tank because I don't want to waste it. I thought I would just monitor the ammonia level. Now...I have a high ammonia reading.

I moved the fish over this morning, probably around 10am and I DID NOT feed. I tested the water at about 5pm. Could it be the coppersafe giving me a false ammonia reading? I am making more water so that I can do a water change if need be, but then don't I have to add more coppersafe to replace what I take out with a water change?

I don't understand. I took the water from the large tank to start the sick tank, which is what I always do when I don't have a sick tank already set up. Please advise.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Sharon,

There is little to no benefical bacteria in the tank water. It should never be re-used. A QT tank needs to have 2x/day PWCs to maintain water qualtiy until a biological filter can be established. I used a hob with a biowheel when I had to treat for Ich, BUT I treated with what is IMO the only safe and effective method, Hyposalinity. Since then I have kept the biowheel in the sump and have been able to use it to establish a filter whener I need to set up a QT tank for new fish.

Right now you need to be prepared to 20% PWCs twice a day until you can get some bacteria growing. Beneficial bacteria only grow on a surface (sand, rock, filter material, biowheel, etc.)

Too bad you started a Coperafe treatment. IMO it's very hard to control the dose considering all the PWC's you must do. I guess you can treat 2 gallons of water before adding it each time. Can you acurately dose a 1 gallon jug?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Since you are using CopperSafe, make sure you get a compatible test kit for chelated copper. CopperSafe, or any other copper treatment for that matter is useless unless the proper theraputic levels are maintained. An API Copper test kit works with CopperSafe.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

hey i had a ich problem in my tank about a month ago and i didn't want to use a reef safe med because it could throw off almost everything so i was like im not using it! Agter that i went to the fish store bought a skunk cleaner it was cleaning fish and i saw an improvement but i had 2 tangs and they even had gard time swimming and fought on who should be cleaned so the next day i bought another and my tank is now ich free! Also my shrimp are breeeding they broduce eggs ever week. Good luck!!! also my tank is 30g.

Tags
eat, ich, reef, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com