Does my anemone look healthy? If not how can I get it healthier its my first.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardclaxton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does it look healthy.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120224_122726.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120224_122726.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 234
  • ForumRunner_20120224_122755.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120224_122755.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 245
  • ForumRunner_20120224_122909.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120224_122909.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 227
  • ForumRunner_20120224_122952.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120224_122952.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 236
When did you get it? It's closed so its probably stressed otherwise looks healthy.. Need more info though

Ive had it for about a week maybe 2.. My levels are as best as I can get them except for my ph its 7.9 and ive been trying to get it up with a buffer... Kh 8 cal 420 ammonia 0 nitrite and nitrate are both 0.. Sg 1.022

Do u mean open as its bottom completly against the rock then yes.. Or if the oval is open then yes too.. And how should I feed it bc at my lfs they said they never fed it.. But I put a piece of bloodworm cube and it latched on to it. And it went flat a couple of days but I heard that it does that when it digests food.. And what would be a better food to feed it and how long should I wait to between feedings..

You're SG is way too low. It needs to be at LEAST 1.025, that goes for majority of coral/livestock. My bta has beautiful color and is puffed usually at all times, its moving under a rock slowly. I think it is just exploring and possibly pooping.

As for feedings once or twice a week is a rule of thumb with corals in general. Overfeeding can really degrade the water quality and it will poop more than it should and grow/split very quickly which isn't as good as it sounds. It needs to grow healthy and strong with time not rushed.

Ok thanks.... Ill get my sg up and hopefully it will look fuller.. Thanks again

Stop using the ph buffer and increase the flow inside the tank. Do a water change or two to even things out and it will be fine.

The fullness of the tentacles are not a real indicator of good health. The area you want to focus on is the center of the pallet which is the mouth, tight and closed is a great sign of health, droopy and if you can see through the hole that is a sick one. When feeding if the BTA takes to krill (fresh) with fast reaction time thats a good sign eating at all is a great sign. The foot (base) needs to have a bright pink color and securely attached if it has signs of color change to a grey or white thats a bad sign or if it floats thats a sign of torn foot which is usually a death sentence, your BTA's color seems a little dark, is it a rose tip?

So what is the best way to tell if your anemone isnt very healthy?

I must chime in here. Your tank needs to be 12-18 months old before you should introduce an anemone.They require very stable and mature environments along with good lighting, like MH. One way to spend a lot of money in this hobby is to NOT do your research. The fact that you are asking how to tell if it is healthy means you did not do enough. It is very bleached and without a mature stable environment with strong lighting and flow, it probally will not make it. Rid Ick and all the other ick cures are a waste of money. Copper (which will kill all your corals), hypo treatment in a hospital tank and as mentioned before leaving your tank fallow (fish less) for 6-8 weeks to let the MI run its course and die off. If not every fish you introduce into your main tank will be infected. You really need to just leave you tank empty and get it stabilized for 6-8 weeks. Stop the additives, Ph can be raised with just letting fresh air into your house when ever you can.Everyone wants a reef tank and to get it stocked as soon as possible, this usually ends up with them getting out of the hobby due to the constant cost and constant failures. You have to match your fish and corals to your tank and your equipment. Read and learn and down the road as things settle down and matures, it cost a whole lot less then to keep spending money to fix something quick. Hope this doesn't sound harsh but I see so many post on the different forums, of people asking for advise, ignoring the advise because they are in a hurry or it is not what they want to hear, then a few post later, they say everything died.

Back
Top Bottom