Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec
Is it possible for it to go away by itself? Last night I turned off the lights, and i just woke and see that he only has one or two spots.

I let the temp go up to bout 81-82f last night cuz I heard raising temp can kill the bacteria. Could this be why most of the spots went away?
No what you seeing is the next stage of the cycle where the ich falls off. They incubate and reproduce during this time. It will return in greater numbers.

Im sorry but elevated temp does not kill bacteria and ich is not a bacteria. Elevated temp speeds up the ich cycle, right now your only increasing thier numbers faster.

Ich will not magically go away by itself. As long as you had a host in your tank you will have it unless you treat it with the 2 known cures, hypo-salinity or copper.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, what is easier, copper or hyposalinity? And how do I do which ever is easier?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec
So, what is easier, copper or hyposalinity? And how do I do which ever is easier?
Hypo-salinity tends to be handled better by certain fish. This require a quarantine tank for starters and a salinity of 1.009.

Here is a post on another forum explaining it pretty well.http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...t-process.html
Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

And another.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1991470
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

And I'm guessing my DT will be Ich free by the time I put the clowns back in?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Schism is giving you the right advice, hypo or copper for hypo though you'll need a refractometer to be sure the salinity is correct for the copper you'll need a copper test kit. I like to use cupramine because its gentler on the fish. do not use either in your display tank as it will kill inverts and corals you will need to keep your main tank empty for about 6 weeks to be sure the ich is dead. FYI cleaner shrimp won't work because the ich is under the skin of the fish where it can't be reached by the shrimp.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Some good info on the parasite and treatment.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always love your posts, you give me something to read everytime! lol thanks

Tags
clown, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com