Does my fish have Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlos8garcia7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two clowns and an anemone in the tank, when I got the first clown it ate everything and went after food(next to anemone). The 2nd clown I got at a later date seemed ok when I first got it but it never ate anything I gave it(next to spongebob). The 2nd clown I have now looks like it has Ick or is sick in some way. But now the 1st clown I have that used to eat a lot, now has stopped eating at all..he'll let food float right past him. I will say the petco I got the 2nd clown from looks like they have some fish in isolation a week or so after I got my clown. I asked them about it and they said those where fish that had just come in, but they had them on the same tank I got my 2nd clown from. I took my water in and had it tested they said it all looks good except for phosphate that is at 0.25.

When I tested my water a couple days ago it was at

Salinity------1.024
Alkalinity----196.9ppm Kh
Nitrate------0ppm
Phosphate--1.0ppm
Calcium-----
Ammonia----0ppm
Nitrite-------0ppm

I just saw one of the clownfish scratch themselves against some sand and the 2nd clownfish looks like he's struggling to swim a little
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395179740.889008.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395179752.167748.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395179769.273680.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395179781.711346.jpg

It looks like ich, I've had luck with the ruby reef kick ich treatment. Isolation with copper treatment works good. But if you feel like its down to "do or die" I would think about a freshwater dip. I had a couple clowns in the past that had ich bad and copper wasn't working, so when they were on their deathbed I figure a freshwater dip would end their misery by killing them or saving them. I dropped them in a bowl of distilled water and literally watched the ich fall off of them. They laid on the sand bed for a day and then proceeded to make a full recovery.

Does garlic work too? I had happened to order kent marine garlic extreme because they weren't eating it should arrive tomorrow. The 2nd clownfish I have now has turned a little whiter so I think it's def ick.

Thanks for the info, i have my two clowns in the qt tank now. One may not make it the other seems good though. I was wondering though can I keep the anemone in my main tank while I let the tank fallow for 2 months?

The anemone should be fine as long as it has the proper light and flow.

If the one fish is about to die, I would try the freshwater dip as a last ditch effort.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately he didn't make it. Still have the one strong clown though. I almost forgot I have a small crab that always hides in the rock. It would be ok to leave him too right? Just wanted to make sure.

Sorry about your clown. That crab will be fine in there.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom