Does there come a time.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigsnuff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About 3 weeks ago I had a blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) break out with what looked like Ich. I raised the water temp to 82, fed food soaked in garlic, and did a FW dip on him. He was looking and doing great until this weekend. He looks horrible white spots all over him maybe even a a white film. I spoke with a guy at my LFS he told me to do another FW dip(which I did) and try to manually rub off the film. This morning he looks even worse and is running all over the tank scratching, stopping by the cleaner shrimp etc... The spots this morning look black??? Now to the point: Does there come a point when you have to worry about the safety of the other fish and dispose of the sick fish? I am not set up yet for a quarantine tank as this tank is in my office. It is a FOWLR and I do not know what to do, any advice you can give would help.

Does there come a point when you have to worry about the safety of the other fish and dispose of the sick fish?

Yes there is, but it usually involve quarantine rather than euthanasia, personally I would try to find someone set upt to treat the fish prior to putting it down. Also check out this article on quarantine, you might be able to set one up very cheaply..
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

and try to manually rub off the film

I really hope they didn't tell you this at Aquatecture, never do this. The film is the fishes natural response to the parasites, the parasites now have free acess to the fishes flesh without it's protective slime coating. This is very stressfull on the fish and allows for a host of organisms to parasatize the fish.

They did tell me that, So I suppose I may have actually done more damage by doing this. I should have know better!!

Back
Top Bottom