Dog Face Puffer breathing heavily at bottom of tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealKenKen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon salt water tank. I recently move around a few items in the tank while I was doing it the Dog Face got scared and started to puff. I also did a water change of about 20 gallons. The water is partially cloudy now. But my Puffer is sitting under a rock not moving and breathing kinda hard with his beak out. I was worried about him so I gave him a little krill and he ate it. Is he okay or should I do?

all of my perimeters seem to be in check as far as ammonia nitrates nitrites ph and salinity 1.22-1.23 my temperature is also about 77 F.

Should I try to help him in some way?IMG_3577.jpgIMG_3579.jpg

I'd run some carbon and do another water change. Sounds like you had a ton of gunk built up around the fake rocks and when you moved them it overwhelmed what beneficial bacteria that was in the tank. Basically a mini cycle due to not much area for bacteria growth in fake rock.

the one thing that wasn't mentioned is it is a normal form of defense when it feels threatened he will puff up and put out his beak , the only concern with this is they secret a slimy toxin that can foul the water quickly . the carbon should help but keep up partial water changes till he seems to be back to himself. and all your parameters look to be back in check,

I have a dog face and what your describing does not seem like something to worry about. I think you're fine.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom