Dog Face puffer caught in powerhead ! Please Help !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crshnbrn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My puffer got caught in my powerhead and it appears his intestine got sucked through his rectum. There is a small red inflated bubble. Will he eventually heal or should i euthanize him. Also will he poison the rest of my fish?

Attachments

• puffer_113.jpg
    puffer_113.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 61
  • puffer_210.jpg
    puffer_210.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 50
  • puffer_209.jpg
    puffer_209.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 79
There appears to be a significant amount of damage there. Any chance of getting a less blury pic would help to be positive though.

There may be a small chance it could recover but it would normally need to correct itself within a small amount of time or it will fill with fluids and reduce blood flow. Prognosis is not a good one to be sure. :(

Cheers
Steve

No, but it should be removed as soon as discovered to be sure it does not pollute the water quality.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you for your quick response and help. Tomorrow is filter screens for powerheads i think.

Definitely use some type of screen on the ph. My Foxface got stuck on mine once, and I was lucky to have caught that before any damage occurred. From there on, I have always used screens.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom