Dogface issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SJSobczyk

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey folks,

I have had my dogface for about half a year now with no problems at all. Recently it seems as though his teeth are getting too large for him and shrimp always get stuck in them. I have to put my hand in and help him remove the shrimp, which amazes friends and family how tame he is.
I have tried feeding him as many hard shelled foods as i can but he doesnt budge on them, he pretty much sticks to shrimp and krill. Is there anything else i can do to help him trim down that beak?
Or should i try and cut up the shrimp into smaller pieces?

Thanks
SJS :twisted:

Have you tried cockle in the shell by Gamma Foods? Their teeth do appear very large, but if he can eat then the teeth should be just fine. They are sharp and things can get stuck. Eventually they get it off either by rubbing it off or another fish comes by and snatches it off his teeth. It wouldn't hurt at all to offer smaller pieces of food.

I know the dogface puffers' teeth will never stop growing, and if they become too large they won't be able to eat anymore. I had one, and the crappy LFS told me to either file his teeth, or have a vet file them or he would starve to death. 8O As tame as he was, I couldn't imagine him letting me file his teeth. The vets that I called thought I was nuts. I was devastated because he was my favorite.
Another, much better, LFS assured me his teeth were fine, but told me a variety of things to feed him that would wear his teeth down naturally. I don't remember what they were called, but I'm going there tomorrow ...so I'll ask and post it then.
Don't worry, I'm sure yours is nowhere near danger.

Can you tie his food around a rock so that when he eats he files his teeth on it? Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom