Dosing Copper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I put in my first dose of copper to treat ich in my QT tank. The directions on the bottle were to put in 5mL of copper for 4 gallons. It then said that that would treat for a month. Does this sound correct?

I also have a copper test kit to monitor the levels. The card goes from 0ppm to 4ppm. What ppm should my copper be at?

Also, I took a filter pad from my 34 gallon RedSea Max 130d and put that in the filter where the carbon would have originally gone. I didn't put in the pad with the carbon inside it. Does all of this sound good?

Should I do water changes? If I should, would I just take out 4 gallons and then put in another 5mL?

Lastly, how long do I do this for? How long will it take for the ich to die off in the display tank?

Thank you soooo much for reading! Your help will be extremely appreciated!

-redsea

Now I am a little worried that I got ich in my bin that I use for this tank and my 55g. I mix saltwater in there, and after working with the 34g with ich, we mixed salt with the water in the bin. Do you think this water has ich now?

Thanks.

I'm dealing with ich too. However my tank is freshwater. I can understand your confusion and even frustration. Be patient I'm sure someone will have the answers you need. Unfortunately that's not me. I just wanted to let you know I think ich sucks too!

Mlani said:
I'm dealing with ich too. However my tank is freshwater. I can understand your confusion and even frustration. Be patient I'm sure someone will have the answers you need. Unfortunately that's not me. I just wanted to let you know I think ich sucks too!

Thanks! Someday it will all be over! :)

Which copper treatment are you using? There are 2 form of copper- chelated and non-chelated and each has a specific type of test kit for it. In other words, if you are using a chelated copper, a test kit made for non-chelated copper will not give you the correct reading.

ccCapt said:
Which copper treatment are you using? There are 2 form of copper- chelated and non-chelated and each has a specific type of test kit for it. In other words, if you are using a chelated copper, a test kit made for non-chelated copper will not give you the correct reading.

Oh, ok thanks! I am not home right now so I will check when I get home.

I just checked, it is chelated copper.

:thanks:

You have the correct test kit for Coppersafe. You want to keep your copper level around 2 ppm and keep it there for 10-14 days.

You have the correct test kit for Coppersafe. You want to keep your copper level around 2 ppm and keep it there for 10-14 days.

Great! When the 10-14 days is up, what should I do then? Should I dose again?

Thank you.

No, in 10-14 days the parasite should be dead. You still need to keep them in QT for 6-8 weeks and no fish in your display tank so any ich in there will die off.

What do you think about my test? It says to look from the top. :)

Attachments

• image-248410489.jpg
    image-248410489.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2186134830.jpg
    image-2186134830.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1650815012.jpg
    image-1650815012.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 66
It`s going to be very important that you keep the DT fishless for 8 weeks as Larry said. The parasite should be dead in the QT. Just keep good water quality in the QT till the DT is ready.

It`s going to be very important that you keep the DT fishless for 8 weeks as Larry said. The parasite should be dead in the QT. Just keep good water quality in the QT till the DT is ready.

Got it. Thank you!

I added some more copper last night since the test results' color looked a little low. :) I will test again today or tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom