Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Okay, I'll update media in filter tank, get new bulbs and do a water change.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

a cleaning crew is a must if you want to be rid of algae, or atleast keep it under control. changing the bulbs could also fix the problem, but getting a cleaning crew will maintain the algae to a decent level, considering all your water parameters are good. i am not an expert, but i have learned from experience. and what kind of clown fish do you have that is so aggressive towards other fish? that is kinda odd. i have a clown, and he gets along with all of my fish.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
that's not true actually. you are just changing the algae to poop. it's never leaving the tank.
also, if you've never come across an aggressive clown fish, then you are not as experienced as you think!

i don't use "cleaning crews", ever. i don't have problems with algae. it's all about the nutrient level. it's nothing more than that.
i've said it before and i'll say it again- the idea that you need a cleanup crew was created by the industry behind the hobby. it's nothing more than a sales pitch.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I went digging around for my starfish - and couldn't find it anywhere! Could he have degraded or been eaten? I sifted through the sand all the to the bottom and nothing?!
I cleaned out the tank, media etc and did a water change and thought i'd wait a day to test the water to let everything settle. Will be getting new lights tomorrow. The green soft algae seems to be making way for the pink type that layers the rock - so that's good (i think).
I did initially want just a coral tank, but I haven't had much luck with them either and only the small button polyps and toadstalls seems to have done very well. The other two which died where another species of polyps - but they looked like flowers and the mushrooms, which shrunk and just disappeared.
All my water tests (past and present) have shown that everything is at a good level. I took water to world of water to use their testing kits to see if i was doing something wrong, and their results showed the same - everything was perfect, a little high on nitrate (10) at one point back in July, but since than it went back fine again.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

when you say these corals died, how did they go? did they wither away over time or abruptly fail? from the time you put them in the tank until the time they disappeared, how many days passed? did they turn brown first?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The mushrooms withered and just disappeared over a period of a week after putting them in. They didn't turn brown. One set of the polyps i think got suffocated by the algae, as it happened during the time the algae went mad and it covered those polyps and they just disappeared one at time over a period of two weeks. This happened only a month ago, I put them in in June and they survivde very well until the algae. The other set of polyps disappeared straight after putting them in. First some of them stopped opening then they all stopped opening bar one or two and eventually i was left with just two and now none.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

mr x, i dont have a problem with algae, either, because i have a good "cleaning crew.'' it is not a sales pitch. nutrients help, but algae will naturally occur, no matter what you do, so why not have something to keep it down?

and no i have NOT come across an aggressive clown, because i have had my percula for 3 years. thats why i asked what kind of clown she had, if you payed attentionto what i said.

i never said i was experienced, i just said that i learned from experience. two totally different things. again, pay attention. i think you have let the aquarum advice finatic thing go to your head. i was only trying to help.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

rancid, you are incorrect once again. with no nutrients, you will have no algae. it will starve out. you don't need a single snail or crab to have an algae free tank.
saying you "learned from experience" is actually saying you have experience. i simply pointed out that you have limited experience about this matter.
it's not personal. i'm trying to inform who ever will listen of facts i have experienced. if you don't want to listen, it's just fine.
feel free to try and help, but beware- if i see something that is incorrect, i'm going to speak up, just as you are. the difference is, i have a little bit of experience. i gather this from your comments and your current stocklist under the "my tanks" tab.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, i guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:34 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I really appreciate all the advice I can get, from everyone.

I have a pecula Clown, and will keep her on her own - as even introducing a smaller clown causes my resident to go into full attack and had to return a rather battered clown with no fins.

I have taken on a frag to see how it gets on before i introduce new corals and end up killing them.

I have a lot of feather dusters in the tank (i didn't buy them - they just keep appearing) and I have found some very odd creatures - they look like woodlouse and another thing that is living on the rock, it looks like a sugar puff (is brown speckled and similar in shape) and opens and closes like a clam and if something touches it it sucks itself back into the rock. Any ideas?

Tags
death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com