duncans that won't open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoacrazy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello,i has a very nice duncan several months ago.a curious tomato clown knock it into a hammer.i recently purchased a frag from a retail store(10DAYS AGO),I ALSO RAN INTO A BARGAIN ON A BLUE AND PINK MORPH(7 DAYS AGO).NEITHER ONE HAS OPENED UP FOR ME.I HAVE MOVED IT SEVERAL TIMES,RAN WATER PARAMETERS (TESTED OK).I SLOW DRIP ACCLIMATED THEM AND EVERY OTHER CORAL IN MY TANK IS DOING WONDERFUL.ANY SUGGESTION?

Lighting? Filtration? Actual water parameters? What else do you have in the tank? What kind of flow do you have in the tank? I have duncan coral in my tank and find it to be a very easy coral to keep happy. Please provide a bit more detail information about your system.

Welcome to AA!

Thanks for your reply.i have a 120 reef and fish tank with a mult sump.i am running 8.5 watts /gallon max.on timer i use the halides 2.5 hrs a day.ph 8.3 nitrites<10 nitrates calcium 420 i keep the temp at 76.i have been keeping saltwater tanks since the early 1980's.i am new to the forum but not to reef.i have multiple a multiple coral tank.very few sps mostly lps.the whisker i had previous did wonderful.my main question i had was are they sensitive to any paticular water quirks.

As you have more experience than I have been alive. ;) You probably are going to hear from me what you have already thought of. Duncan's are gorgeous corals. They seem to like a lower flow and low-moderate lighting. If you can, try putting them at the bottom in a shaded area with lower flow. Hopefully they will open open a bit for you. How did they look when you purchased them in the other aquarium? I've seen some people buy corals that looked terrible in a LFS aquarium and think oh I will make it better then it dies.

BTW! Welcome to AA!!!!

Thanks for your reply.i have tried putting them everywhere along the bottom.the one that was stung after being knocked into the hammer was doing great.the one i purchased from a retailer was opened fine.the other i ordered and it is showing a little sign of opening.i am aware that sometimes they come out when they are ready.i am not an expert on duncans.this is why i turned to the forum.i was hoping someone may have some insight on a quirk they may have.ie higher salinity,ph,temp,flo.i just don't know.these guys are not cheep.

I just wanted to update any future duncan(whisker)coral buyers.as stated previously,my duncans wouldn't open no matter what.well 3weeks latter(or more)to my glorious delight.this morning they were opened in all their timely glory.as beautiful as my others.so to end this long rant.even with proper lighting,water,etc.give them time.as long as they are showing flesh in the skeleton you still have a chance.

Duncans are really pretty... I bought a frag with 2 heads a few weeks ago. First week it was lovely.. Second week both heads stayed closed. I was worried like yourself. However, after a few days it reopened and now I've got 2 hew heads forming.

I will chime on to this. I purchased 4 duncan heads and like goisles1 said, they were open for a few days then had suddenly closed for over a week. Just last week they opened back up and are gorgeous! A bit pricey per head around here but worth it! Hopefully I can get these puppies fragged one day!

I will chime on to this. I purchased 4 duncan heads and like goisles1 said, they were open for a few days then had suddenly closed for over a week. Just last week they opened back up and are gorgeous! A bit pricey per head around here but worth it! Hopefully I can get these puppies fragged one day!

Curious... How Pricey Waaaaaay up by you? I got mine for $30 ($15 per head). He had a 4 head as well that he said I could have for $50. But, I read that they reproduce really quickly so I just took the 2 headed.
Here's a pic of mine from the first week and these were open approx 50%. Since this shot was taken, then have closed up for a few days and now are open 100%. It's a huge difference..

show7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom