Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dwarf Angelfish with popeye and ich

My coral beauty angelfish has what i think popeye in the left eye, her fin is almost gone and he is flashing on the live rock, my sailfin tang has signs of ich to could I do a freshwater dip without killing them or is there something else i can do that i can do to save them.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

is this a reef tank? if there is ich you will need to treat every fish, a fw dip won't be sufficient. do you have a quarantine tank?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like ich. Tangs and Angelfish have thin slime coats. When they get stressed parasites penetrate their coat much easier than other fish. I am personally not a big fan of fresh water dips because in my experience it only stresses out the fish more and aggravates the situation. Quarantine works best. This gives you time to treat sick fish, run the main tank fishless for parasite die-off and make necessary changes that caused ich in the first place.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You mentioned that the Sailfin has "signs of Ich too"...what are the signs? Ich is little pimple-looking white spots. Losing fins and pop eye don't usually go with Ich. So far, this does not sound much like Ich.

What size tank? What are your parameters? Any other fish? If so, how are they looking? Who has what symptoms?

Odds are, you will want to QT the fish and treat with copper or Hyposalinity. Leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks to allow whatever is in there to die off. Freshwater dips can help, but are not a cure.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
is this a reef tank? if there is ich you will need to treat every fish, a fw dip won't be sufficient. do you have a quarantine tank?
is not a reef but there live rock/sand I dont have quarantine but im aready treating with Probiotics Marine Formula that worked last time i had ich do you think a good water change could work?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
You mentioned that the Sailfin has "signs of Ich too"...what are the signs? Ich is little pimple-looking white spots. Losing fins and pop eye don't usually go with Ich. So far, this does not sound much like Ich.

What size tank? What are your parameters? Any other fish? If so, how are they looking? Who has what symptoms?

Odds are, you will want to QT the fish and treat with copper or Hyposalinity. Leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks to allow whatever is in there to die off. Freshwater dips can help, but are not a cure.
the symptoms are scratching on both fish and the angel wont eat but all the others will
Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If there are not those white spots, it is probably not Ich.

As far as treatment...most marine ailments will require treatment in a QT and leaving your display tank fallow. The fallow DT allows whatever was in there to die off, as it needs a host to survive. The treatment depends on the problem, but it is best to not treat in a DT.

Pop eye and cloudy eyes are usually a water quality issue. Maintain pristine water and proper nutrition and fish usually bounce back. I had an Annularus Angel with pop eye once and thought he was going to die, for sure. He got better and lived years after.

What are your parameters? Are there other fish? How long have these two been in there?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
If there are not those white spots, it is probably not Ich.

As far as treatment...most marine ailments will require treatment in a QT and leaving your display tank fallow. The fallow DT allows whatever was in there to die off, as it needs a host to survive. The treatment depends on the problem, but it is best to not treat in a DT.

Pop eye and cloudy eyes are usually a water quality issue. Maintain pristine water and proper nutrition and fish usually bounce back. I had an Annularus Angel with pop eye once and thought he was going to die, for sure. He got better and lived years after.

What are your parameters? Are there other fish? How long have these two been in there?
Then what do you think it is? Is it fatal? And the fish are showing sighs of a fish are flashing on rocks what a fish with ich will do
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Flashing can occur for several reasons. Disease, stress due to poor water conditions (or other factors), trying to dislodge food from rock or sand or even a simple itch.

I have not heard answers to the questions I have asked, so it is difficult to pin down a cause. I'm almost betting on water quality...goes with pop eye...causes stress which can cause fish not to eat, etc.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh sorry: I don't know the parameters but in doing a good water change tomorrow, also the tang has been in for 4 month and get angel for 2 weeks I also have a hawkfish clowns and a couple damsels that show no sighs all in a 75g

Tags
angel, angelfish, dwarf, dwarf angel, eye, fish, ich, popeye

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com