Dying coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nooboftanks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone so recenlty I got this coral frag it was 10 bucks I can’t remeber the name of it but it’s extremely stressed and won’t open up any suggestions to help or is it dying my water is pristine and it’s in a low flow high light areaIMG_1519267751.624331.jpg

Looks like a very stressed out flower pot coral, or a goniopora. These guys usually do pretty poorly in our systems.
Can you tell us more about the system like the parameters? How long has it been in the system? Was it acclimated/how was it acclimated? Have you tried to move it to a different spot in the tank?

Looks like a very stressed out flower pot coral, or a goniopora. These guys usually do pretty poorly in our systems.
Can you tell us more about the system like the parameters? How long has it been in the system? Was it acclimated/how was it acclimated? Have you tried to move it to a different spot in the tank?

Been in tank 3 days it’s my first coral I’ve added the tanks been set up for 8weeks inhabitants are 2 clownfish and 10 snails I’ve tried moving around to 3 spots of tank even have attempted to target feed it when I had tested my water 3 days ago at my LFS the lady said everything checked out perfect salinity alkalinty PH etc

For acclimating I did standard 1hr temp acclimation then 30min drip then I dipped it for about 30 mins

Well, there isn't a 'perfect' for things and I'd be wary of anyone testing your water for you. They most likely are using very inaccurate testing strips.
I'd be less interested in the calcium/alkalinity/magnesium levels as I would want to know about the big 3 of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.
Have you tried moving it to a different spot in the tank?

A 30 minute dip is crazy! Idk what dip you used but some are iodine based. 30 minutes could definitely tick the coral off if not kill it. I’ll dip corals for 5, maybe 10 if I see a peat came off of it but 30 is a lot. I’d put that as the main issue here. Plus it being goniopora and not a very hardy coral. I’d look into something a bit easier for your next coral.

As far as this one goes I’d leave it be, moving it is gonna stress it more. It’s pretty much in a leave it and hope situation imo.

A 30 minute dip is crazy! Idk what dip you used but some are iodine based. 30 minutes could definitely tick the coral off if not kill it. I’ll dip corals for 5, maybe 10 if I see a peat came off of it but 30 is a lot. I’d put that as the main issue here. Plus it being goniopora and not a very hardy coral. I’d look into something a bit easier for your next coral.

As far as this one goes I’d leave it be, moving it is gonna stress it more. It’s pretty much in a leave it and hope situation imo.

Yea I just kinda let it sit in the Dip as I swooshed it around and a ton of stuff came off it so I thought that was a good sign for me to keep doing it I didn’t know it could hurt it

Well, there isn't a 'perfect' for things and I'd be wary of anyone testing your water for you. They most likely are using very inaccurate testing strips.
I'd be less interested in the calcium/alkalinity/magnesium levels as I would want to know about the big 3 of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.
Have you tried moving it to a different spot in the tank?

Oh the big 3 I test at home all the time and there always at 0 and my water changes are consistent I’ve tried moving it to 3 different spots I might just give up on it as this morning it’s looking even worse

Yeah definitely 5-10 minute dips is all a coral needs to remove most pests. That stuff is potent! Once Goni starts going it’s pretty tough to bring back :(.

To me it looks like a pagoda or scroll coral. They need a moderate amount of flow.

Back
Top Bottom