Dying Encrusting Gorgonian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeGio

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so it looks like my star polyps are dead/dying. They are encrusted gorgonian and not the usual star polyps. I need some help advice on what to so here. My tank seems fine and my other corals are fine. I see the peppermint shrimp picking at the coral but I think that's dead tissue and not the healthy parts. I blasted the dead tissue off and moved the rock to a heavy flow area. Anything else I can do?

Attachments

• image-3898401145.jpg
    image-3898401145.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 172
Anyone?, any advice? Should I remove it?, or is there a chance it can recover & regenerate polyps? The bottom looks normal from what I could see.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that coral. Hope someone who can help chimes in. Good luck.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that coral. Hope someone who can help chimes in. Good luck.

It's similar to star polyps. Usually mistaken for them. The difference are the bases, for star polyps are purple this is tan. All the polyps fell off but the bottom is purple. I did an iodine dip and am hoping it regenerates. Any experience with saving dying coral?, lol

I would leave it. It's not going to hurt anything. BTW, all star polyps are encrusting gorgonians.

Is there a decent chance it will regenerate?, as u can tell I'm new to corals. Thanks

Yes, there is a chance. What is your maintenance regimen? Are you adding anything to the tank in the way of supplements?

Yes, there is a chance. What is your maintenance regimen? Are you adding anything to the tank in the way of supplements?

30% water changes weekly
All parameters are in check
Nitrates @ about 5
PH 8.2
Temp 77-80 w/ heater
Phosphates don't have test kit but use poly filter
Salinity 1.026

Supplement kent a & b

Livestock
2 clown
1 damsel
2 peppermint
2 scarlet hermits
1 nassarius snail
2 Astraea snail

1 zoa
1 xenia
1 dying star polyp

Stop the kent supplement. A few water changes to remove it, and Things should get better. Everything you need is in your salt mix.

Stop the kent supplement. A few water changes to remove it, and Things should get better. Everything you need is in your salt mix.

Ok LFS store told me it was essential, lol. They are the worst. Thanks for the advice.

Don't worry too much about it. Some people swear by dosing and never doing a water change...though I would never suggest that.

I ran into an issue from dosing to get my alkalinity up. The water changes will get things back to normal. When they open back up, post a pic I'd love to see them.

Don't worry too much about it. Some people swear by dosing and never doing a water change...though I would never suggest that.

I ran into an issue from dosing to get my alkalinity up. The water changes will get things back to normal. When they open back up, post a pic I'd love to see them.

Thanks, the polyps fell off, so they will have to regenerate, I think. But yes hopefully I can save it and will definitely post pics.

The rest of the tank is working out well and has been for awhile. No real outbreaks of any sort through 9 months. Ready to upgrade to a nice 30-50 gallon tank soon. Just waiting for some stability w/ the company I work for, since the hurricane things are a mess, so I can't go spending $1200 on a new set up, wife would kill me.

Attachments

• image-3814313899.jpg
    image-3814313899.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 73
  • image-716242180.jpg
    image-716242180.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3403239141.jpg
    image-3403239141.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 68

Ok here is a picture now, it looks like the polyps are totally gone. The bottom is still purple which I believe means its still alive? My 2 peppermint a been picking at it to know end, I actually brought them back to the LFS because they definitely don't seem reef safe to me. Amy advice or a prognosis on the coral?

Attachments

• image-3349126595.jpg
    image-3349126595.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 69
They are probably smelling it's demise and are "cleaning up" like expected. As long as there's still color though, it can recover.

They are probably smelling it's demise and are "cleaning up" like expected. As long as there's still color though, it can recover.

Yeah they were hovering like vultures. That's good to hear, hopefully I can post pics of its recovery.

Since my original star polyps disintegrated picked up another piece yesterday that's doing great..

Fully opened this morning.

Attachments

• image-3681190101.jpg
    image-3681190101.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom