dying fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourstate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 92 gal tank with live rock, bio balls, protein skimmer.
i have had a blue and yellow tang, 3 perc.s, blenny, bi color angel and
a coral beauty. I didnt have any of them quaratened because i didnt
have a tank. my blue tang started rubing on the rocks and got white
spots on him and one perc, but they would go away the next morning
and then come back, so i treated the tank with a reef safe ,green x
the next day 1 perc and the blue tang lost their color and died. so i didnt treat the other recomended treatments, because my anenomes and shrimp didnt do well with it. a day later the coral beauty died. the rest of the fish seemed fine for a week then another perc and the bi color lost their color and died along with a healthy looking perc. i see no signs other
than those occasional spots and the blue tang was rubbing. i couldnt treat
my tank because of coral,cleaner shrimp,crabs,snails,brittle star,sand shifting star,horseshoe crabs,i havent lost any inverts.i now have my 3 remaing fish in quaranteen tank treated them with copper,My ammonia nitrate level never got above safe. any suggestions would be appreciated

When you say that your levels never got above safe could you expand on that. Do you mean they never got above 0.00? IMO zero ammonia and nitrite is the only safe level.

What your describing on the tang and clown is ICH. I have not used either of the two treatment methods you describe since I try to not add anything to my tanks that have live rock and inverts. Copper is a great treatment for ICH but its also deadly to inverts. Make sure you dont add any of the qtank copper treated water into your main system when your ready to pull them out of quarinteen.

i put the fish in a different tank to treat for ich. not my show tank i heard if you have no fish in the tank for 5 weeks all parasites will die.
my quick dip strips dont have numbers on them they say ideal ,safe, stress, etc.
my readings have always been in safe never ideal.

I grow more and more convinced every day that keeping a blue tang without a UV sterilizer or a running QT for treatments just means looking for trouble

Back
Top Bottom