Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I found this out the hard way when I got a used set up and brought it home the SG was way to high and I brought it down to fast. One fish made it the other didn't. I found out later what I should have done is basically drip acclimate it slowly with 2 airline hoses one going in and one going out and a fairly steady drip over a period of several hours or in my case days. The lady I got it from said her SG was perfect it was at 1.025 when in reality it was at 1.052. I don't know if she was topping off with saltwater or not but at any rate she didn't know how to read a refractometer.

With the ph make sure there is enough surface movement because that effects the ph as well.

joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Did a water change and SG is 1.025 now. Everyone seems to be doing ok, no new deaths this morning.Thanks everyone

dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Your welcome. Yeah the first thing you should always do if your test are wrong is to do a large water change. Adding new salt water replaces the minerals and gets your sg back to normal.
Tomchong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I hadn't even realized that you're using a cansiter, for a SW tank unless it's cleaned out regularly and thoroughly it will cause problems.

Also that you're experiencing a large amount of nuisance algae, this could be the canister and a large bioload.

iDream is offline   Reply With Quote

dyi, dying, dying fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com