Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2003, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

dying fish - please help

Hey,
Ok i was wondering what happened when my bi-color bleeny was not moving...It was doing fine last i check...Then i see it not moving and in bad shape, still alive...Few minutes later it died. I check water quality and everything seems to be in order, my other fish at the time where fine (purple firefish, flame angel, algae bleeny. Now today, i just noticed that the flame angel was not moving on the sand, still alive and in bad shape. I look up and see my emerald crab with its claw straight up in the air. No my $50.00 flame angel is also dead. Hours later i notice that my algae bleeny is not in its lair (which it always is in) and is in bad shape, In the lair i see an emerald crab. I have 3 emeralds in there and plenty of algae for them to munch on. The algae bleeny is still alive. I then took out all 3 crabs, and i am about ready to stomp on them. Can someone back up my theory or give me some kind of explanation...I think my crabs are starting to kill off everything including my other scarlet reef hermits. Any help would be greatly appreciated...THANKS

Old 09-05-2003, 10:09 PM   #2

Ok now the algae bleeny is dead...All my fishes expect my purple firefish are all dead. I know for sure now that it is the crabs, any suggestions on some new fishes for a 30 gal Long,

Old 09-05-2003, 11:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if the fish are lying on the sand bed still alive the emerald crabs might be the ones finishing them off, but they probably arent the ones to blame for their bad condition. Just my guess though. could you give us some more info about your tank?
Old 09-07-2003, 01:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
any suggestions on some new fishes for a 30 gal Long,
Best advice would be none until you figure out exactly what the problem is. The emerald's are an unlikely cause, were there any obvious wounds? While I've seen them go after small fish, it is improbable that they could even catch a flame angel.

Definitely, more info is needed about your tank namely age and water parameters (PH, salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.)
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 01:17 PM   #5

I did see small tiny wounds, but i would have thought that they could survive it. My tanks is about a year old. I have never had a problem with it other than a few algae/cyano problems. And on the same day that the fishes died..They were all swimming around happily like they always do...5 minutes later they died. When i saw the flame angel it was on the sand but still alive...and right above it was the emerald on the rock...I think the angel was pick at the rock for some food and the emerald ambushed it. Same with my bleeny...It always hides in this hole in my live rock. Then i see him lying on the sand almost dead and inside the hole i see an emerald. I think they are to blame, I removed them all, and i only have one fish left, my purple firefish which is in great healthy shape. What do you guys think?
Old 09-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
emerald crabs are not going to commit mass homicide. There is something wrong with your tank water. You need to give us specifics as regards to your test reading. Also, let us know what kind of additives you use, if any. Also, if any housecleaning or bug spraying or home improvements were happening in the last week or so.

Tags
dyi, dying, dying fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com