Dying frogspawn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaWoWee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive had this frogspawn for about 2-3 weeks and i havent seen it get as big as it was in the lfs and every now and then it lets off purple webstrings at the edge. Is it slowly dying off?

My water params are:
Ammon&Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5-10
Calcium: 480
PH: 8.3
Lights 2x55w PC

Attachments

• image-3111966180.jpg
    image-3111966180.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 195
It's hard to tell in the picture but are you sure it's frogspawn? It looks like bubble coral. Either way, try putting it right in some fairly strong water flow and let the current "wash" it. If it's frogspawn you can blast it pretty hard. If it's bubble coral, needs to be a gentler flow to avoid damaging it. This advise was given to me by my lfs and it's worked for brown jelly disease and also unknown issues. For my corals that I can't pick up and move, I have a PH that I point at it for a while.

Yea im pretty sure its a frogspawn.. It looked like one when it was bigger in the lfs and i dont think they would have given me a bubble coral for $5.. i looked at it this morning and the part that was spitting off was a part of a second head. Now its gone and now theres clearly one head. the flow in my tank is already moderate to high as i have a red sea max 29g with two outtake pumps and a hydor 425g wavemaker. hopefully there will be no further die off.

It's not a bubble, it's a very unhappy frogspawn or branching hammer.

I'd be prepared to throw it, looks about done to me.

I don't throw out corals unless they are diseased I have had even montis make a come back from what I thought was a dead one. At the very least they make good frag plugs I will put a piece of skeleton next to some zoas or palyps and let them grow on to that then put it on another rock, my friend has a tank and he usually gets the stuff with the regular frag plugs from me.

Try and move it to a less flow area. What are you testing your SG with a refractometer or a hydrometer?

I have a refractometer to test my SG. Im not familiar with brown jelly disease. Can it spread to other corals?

I have had 3 Euphyllia that had a head or two die but the rest of the coral recovered nicely. I think it was due to having them in a high flow area but it could have been from hermit crabs bothering them, it wasn't brown jelly disease or it would have effected more than just a head or two.

I ended up putting it my other reef tank which is better established and has a lower water flow. after a day its looking a little better

Back
Top Bottom