Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How exactly do I cycle the tank with the fish in there do I remove them or ?

Old 11-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason11 View Post
How exactly do I cycle the tank with the fish in there do I remove them or ?
Your fish act as the ammonia source (and a lot of it with all those fish).

You likely will need to be doing daily water changes to keep levels low and safe.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I had two hippo tangs
And angel fish
And a blue manderine
assuming this is a 20g tank tangs have no business in a tank that small , as for the mandarin they require a well established tank of at least a year, same goes for the angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason11 View Post
It has been set up for about a week and it has 20 pounds of live sand and 20 pounds of live rock and one anemone a couple clown fish and a yellow tang and a few other I bought today
assuming I read this correct you added 20lbs LR 20lbs LS cycled a week ,
first 1 week is not enough time for a cycle , the choice of stock you added is a bad choice tangs need at least 75g or larger

here is a link to fish in cycling just so you are aware you will constantly need to be testing water and doing water changes as needed,
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

you need to explain to them they sold you things way to soon , and things that wouldn't work in that tank
best rule of thumb is if it's not a true reef store they have no clue what they are talking about , I would suggest finding a better store to deal with anemone's also need a well established tank ,
just a fyi your tank was overstocked as soon as you added a tang and a angle you need to research nano fish for a tank that size ,
stocking should be done slowly Rome wasn't built in a day
rushing only does one thing costs lots of money and a lot of deaths
Old 11-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

All I have left now are clown fish pair anemone 3 damsels and the tang is that still too much ? I will be getting a 180 gallon in a few months
Old 11-26-2015, 01:25 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Articles | DrTim's Aquatics
Old 11-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's defo too much. Tangs get real big, there is no tang on earth that will fit in a 20 gallon tank comfortably. How much research did you do before purchasing these fish and tank? My advice would be find somebody local to have the fish and cycle your tank. Has anyone explained what cycling is to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would get the anenomie out as your parameters will be like a pendulum swinging all over the place and the anenomie is not going to like that one bit if that decides to melt you going to have a right mess to clear up.

Remove the tang as your tank is not big enough.

Damsels are nasty little buggers and in my opinion not suited to a community tank due to agression.

I would remove all fish and the anenomie and take them back to what ever shop you got them from as they should of never sold you them and they should know better 1 week in they sell you all them fish and an anenomie that's a joke.

Then change your LFS as they are shocking and clearly clueless !!!

Tags
angel fish, ate, clown anemone, dyi, dying, filter advice, fish, live bacteria, salt, salt water, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com