Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2015, 11:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dying salt water fish

I am terrible at this
I had two hippo tangs
And angel fish
And a blue manderine
I had added a live rock and live sand n two fish petland gave me to cycle my tank after a week I started adding fish I took my water samples n they said it was good for fish so I bought those so I added my hippo angel fish and blue manderine they seemed fine breathing heavily checked all my levels and they were all fine came back next morning n all of them died except one hippo I had the temp at 82 and a hang on filter can anyone help me

Old 11-25-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have also took water back and they said the water was healthy everything was so I bought two clown fish too see if I have luck

Old 11-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'm not sure where to start here. Tank size? How long it has been set up? How many lbs of live rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It has been set up for about a week and it has 20 pounds of live sand and 20 pounds of live rock and one anemone a couple clown fish and a yellow tang and a few other I bought today
Old 11-25-2015, 12:50 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, at least you were set up to fail after they got the tank cycled...
If this is a 20 gallon tank, then the lbs per gallon rule of thumb for sand and rock is right where it needs to be.
The sad part is that they let you go home with fish that need much larger tanks than a standard 20 gallon. A yellow tang needs a 6ft long tank, like a 125 gallon, to thrive as they are one of the several open water swimmers that we find in this hobby.
The same is most likely true about the angel fish and the close quarters either led to aggression from the two large fish or adding them both at once into such a small tank overwhelmed the bacteria base you built up when you cycled and they died of ammonia poisoning...either is likely.
As for the mandarin...awful rate of survival in the home aquarium. I've tried and it is an expensive venture. These guys eat pods...for the most part only pods. One in my 55 ate thousands of them every month. A 20 that isn't established doesn't have a shot at feeding one. If the ammonia poisoning didn't get it, the starvation would have.
Then there is the anemone. A photosynthetic creature that needs intense lighting to survive. I highly doubt you were supplied with such lighting so I would suggest returning it before it bleaches out and dies, creating a nasty water problem in your tank. Don't worry, the clowns don't need it to survive.
In better news, two clowns is great for a 20 gallon. I think every tank needs a clown pair.

In reflection, the key in this hobby is to go slow. Adding so many fish to the tank without researching them is causing you to go down a path of continued issues and failure. Very frustrating for anyone who wants to pick up this hobby! I suggest checking out liveaquaria.com. They have GREAT recommendations in terms of what fish need to live healthy lives in our closed systems. If it doesn't fit your setup, then I would return it quickly for either cash or store credit until they get something that will match your system.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

They do not do refunds period so I am stuck with em for the anemone I have the sunlight as well as led lights idk of that's enough I stacked it up on top of a live rock n seems to be doing good as of now the tang as well I will try to get a bigger tank asap what can I do for now any ideas?
Old 11-25-2015, 02:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Craigslist. Find it all a new owner and finish cycling Fishless IMO...

Otherwise you have a lot of stress and water changes ahead of you.

Caleb
Old 11-25-2015, 02:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The water change will be due to what exactly ?
Old 11-25-2015, 02:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason11 View Post
The water change will be due to what exactly ?

Constantly rising ammonia levels because the tank is not cycled to handle all those fish.

Without water changes they will probably succumb to ammonia poisoning.

Caleb
Old 11-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can I cycle them with fish and what exactly does cycling doing

Tags
angel fish, ate, clown anemone, dyi, dying, filter advice, fish, live bacteria, salt, salt water, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com