Dying shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesn't sound bad to me. Everything is sensitive to iodine. That's why it's used as a coral dip. You should see the stuff jump off of corals when you dip them in Lugols solution. That said, I've never added iodine to any system i've kept or maintained and GSP and everything else did fine, because it's in the salt mix.

Of course it is. The whole point of this is to mimic natural sea water. If it didn't have everything a coral needs, how are corals living in the wild?

Also in the wild they don't have to worry about ammonia nitrite/ate build up so even though I'm mimicking nature by using real sea water and live sand, I wouldn't assume everything is all set. People also have to keep calcium up which corals don't have to worry about in the wild.

Just saying I don't think it was that stupid of me to ask since not everything is self maintained, can't assume iodine or anything else is.

Actually, corals use calcium and alk and many other trace elements. When you do a water change, you replenish these elements. Before you put it in the tank, it's got everything. Ammonia and nitrates are a completely different subject.

On a happy note, my fire shrimp molted a couple of days ago and is still alive... well, he was when I left for work this morning :)

Back
Top Bottom