Dying shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fird

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a shrimp slumped over in my tank. I'm not exactly sure that hes dying. I knocked on the glass and he jumped up scared but then slumped over again. Please tell me hes probably molting...

He's probably molting. . . Have you conducted a water test?

They don't molt out in the open. I have a feeling it's something more than that. What are your current parameters?

Yeah hes dead... I got home last night and my bristle had pulled him into the rocks. I checked the parameters and everything was fine. Am I missing something?

You have to be. Best case scenario it was a parasite. what are your parameters? salinity?
adding anything to the tank lately? supplements? iodine?

Will iodine kill shrimp?
My green start polyp hasn't opened in days and my lfs said add iodine...I don't want that to kill my shrimp either.

Will iodine kill shrimp?
My green start polyp hasn't opened in days and my lfs said add iodine...I don't want that to kill my shrimp either.

I wouldn't add anything to my tank simply because one of my corals hasn't opened up. Check your parameters first.

My parameters are always 0...
Except pH of course ;)
I have two colonies of GSP one is open and one is not.

I lost my cleaner shrimp to supplements for reef tanks. Of course, I didn't take into account that my rocks reduce the amount of gallons in my tank, so I calculated for 30 gallons, but should only have put in for 20. Lesson learned...

I didn't either until I took them out to get a dead fish that had lodged itself under the bottom rocks. I had to take almost every single rock out, and the water level went down dramatically. That's when the light-bulb went off :facepalm:

AquaRick said:
I wouldn't add anything to my tank simply because one of my corals hasn't opened up. Check your parameters first.

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia not quite 0 but not quite .25
kH 14 drops
Calcium high 300's
pH between 8.2-8.4
Phosphate 0

Don't ever add anything to your tank that you aren't absolutely sure you need, via test kits. Of course an abundance of iodine can kill inverts. What do you think the coral dip Lugols is? Nothing but iodine. Your LFS gave you bad information.
Everything you need is in your salt mix anyway, iodine included.
I would do a few 20% water changes to remove it.

Are there iodine test kits? It's not in either of my kits...

I don't use mix; I buy ocean water

I've need heard of Lugols...
I've barely had my tank since November so I'm not so privy to everything but I'm researching lots and learning as it comes up.

There are iodine test kits - I just got one. And, for me, I'm not adding anything w/out testing anymore thanks to the cleaner shrimp incident. Besides, I have so few corals and I do weekly water changes so I doubt I'll need to add anything for now.

TeamTrash said:
There are iodine test kits - I just got one. And, for me, I'm not adding anything w/out testing anymore thanks to the cleaner shrimp incident. Besides, I have so few corals and I do weekly water changes so I doubt I'll need to add anything for now.

Yeah I only have one tiny GSP colony (it's out) and one medium GSP colony (not out)

That would be proof to me that you don't need to add anything. Both colonies would be lacking if there was some massive deficiency. It's probably a matter of placement. flow and/or lighting.

Back
Top Bottom