Dying sponge help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Bought a blue sponge a week ago. Was very careful opening the bag underwater and watched to make sure the guy at the store bagged it properly too. Started losing its color on the bottom and was spreading so i cut off 3 1 inch sized pieces that were still blue and placed them in the area of the tank with the highest amount of flow (i have seahorses so its not alot of flow but its the only place with any) is there anything else i can do to try to save it? I also put a capfull of marine snow in the tank. Please help

Welcome to AA. I don't know much about sponges. All I know is that they are very hard to keep in a home AQ. It’s not impossible, just very difficult.

The Blue Sponge feeds on bacteria and detritus that it filters from the moving water. It requires moderate flow and some light. Did you take time to acclimate it to your tank?
SG changes will cause it to to react that way.

cmor1701d said:
The Blue Sponge feeds on bacteria and detritus that it filters from the moving water. It requires moderate flow and some light. Did you take time to acclimate it to your tank?
SG changes will cause it to to react that way.

Didnt do any water changes in the week i had it before it started dyin just did one now. I gave it about 15 min to acclimate. Could top up water hurt it? i pour it in on the other side of the tank though

Back
Top Bottom