dying star fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok I tested water for amonia nitrites and nitrates everything fine but both of my star fish died and my tank is cloudy and i cant find my Bicolor Pseudochromis any idea of what could have caused this both stars were fine and eating yesterday I did a 30% water change and moved my brain coral cause he did not look so good please help thanks Jester

How long did you have the starfish? Were they new to your tank? How long did yo acclimate them and in what manner? What are the exact numbers for SG, Amm, Nitrate and Nitrite?

Starfish are not easy to acclimate and often are dying at the LFS...long before you even get them home. I would continue to do some largish water changes everyday (20-30%) until the cloudiness subsides.

I will have to take that water in to lfs i have had the stars for like 3 years well me 1 year and the lady who gave me the tank had them for 2 years the one star is a
Brittle Sea Star, Fancy ans is huge like 12 in he is still alive in my qt the othe is dead and was a 6 in brown star not sure what kind nitrate is 10 nitrite is .2 ammonia is .02this was the results from yesterday i have to go to my sisters kids 1st B-day party today and the lfs are closed I have lots of coral in this tank but i dont wanna move alot of it to my other tank because this tank that is cloudy has lots of aspasia and i dont want that in my other tank iafter i did the water cahnge yesterday the water was better but today it is cloudy again i did find my other fish so both fish are fine I will do another water chage when i get home any ideas what is causing this thanks Jester

nitrate is 10 nitrite is .2 ammonia is .02this
This is your problem. It is hard to figure out what caused what in this situcation. Kind of like the "what came first...the chicken or the egg" question. Anyways, your top priority now is getting water parameters back in check. Do several large waters changes using aged SW to get parmaeters down. Stop feeding the tank for a few days and run some fresh GAC. Keep doing water changes every-other day until H3 and NO2 are at zero and staying there. Good luck.

these are very low i have a weird test kit it is from sea test the fast test aquarium mater test kit but the nitrate at 10 is the lowest color on the test so there is just a little bit of nitrate in the water same for the other two test it is just a little bit I have teested before where these where higher and had no problems i think i am just not writting the results on here the right way all 3 test just show a hint of color so they are just above 0

on my test it goes from a little color is 10 then goes up 20 40 70 100

Your NO3 is not the issue, it is the detectable NH3 and NO2. Even "very low" levels are too high. Zero is what you wnat.

Back
Top Bottom