Dying Xenia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last week I purchased from my local LFS, a rock with 2 frags of active xenia attached to it. When I placed the rock in the tank they stayed very active. As time has passed they have become less mactive and seem to be shrinking in total length. I don't know what I need to do or is it too late. In the tank I have 6 frags of green ricordia for over 1 month and they are doing great. My tank readings as of now are: PH8.6, Nitrate <5, Nitrite 0, NH3 0, Calcium 460, temp 78(lts off)-82(lts on).
Lighting is 2 175W MH mounted 14" above xenia.

As always THANKS

It's not too late, until it looks like it's melting, and then if even the smallest piece of flesh survives...it will be at pest proportions before you know it.

First thoughts are the ph and the temp. Xenia is very sensitive to ph and yours is a bit high, I'd also be willing to bet it's got a decent shift after the lights go out. I would check the ph in the AM before the lights come on and see what it is. I would do a water change to try to get the ph down around 8.3-8.4. I would add a heater to the system and try to stabalize the temp around 82.

I do a regular 20%water change weekly. I am on a well so the water I use is from the supermarket water machine. It says it is RO/DI, plus carbon and other steps. I am saving up the $200 for an RO system, it will have to wait a few weeks. I have a Pro Heat 100W heater in the sump, it is set to 78* after my overheating experience from a few weeks ago, to give myself a little leeway.
So you are saying the ideal temp is 82*?
How else can I lower the PH? until I do an RO system

FYI - I bought a 50GPD R/O from EBAY for $149...

And for REEFRUNNER - How are temp and PH related? I'm curious...I stabilized my tank to be 82 lights off - 83.2 lights on. But you have me curious about the PH shift...Mine stays around 8.1-8.2

Someone smarter than me will have to explain the relationship between temp and ph, there is one, but I don't know exactly what it is. I'll take a stab though and say you misinterpreted something I posted. PH will go down at night, not because the temp drops, but because photosynthesis stops and CO2 levels go up. CO2 depresses ph, so after the lights are out algae in the tank stops using CO2 and starts using oxygen, therefore ph levels go down.

I would also move the xenia to a shaded area. 2x175w of metal halide is most likely quite a jump from the lighting on the holding tank at the LFS. I would start it out either slightly shaded or further down in the tank and then slowly, over the period of a couple weeks, move it into more intense lighting. IME Xenia will tolerate intense lighting, but it needs to be acclimated properly. As RR mentioned, before you know it, it's going to be everywhere! :D

Thanks all, have moved the xenia down towards the bottom, and it seems to have opened up a little. Then I tested the store-bought RO water and it's PH is 7. I did see a little difference in the ph before lights on, learned something new there.
I akso have since adjusted my heater to keep a more stable temp when lights off, now it is a steady 82*.

Thanks again reefrunner you ARE the best.

Back
Top Bottom