Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Early signs or Ich? I'm not exactly sure...help please

Hey everyone,

I've had my yellow tang in an established tank for around two weeks now. Today I began to notice it had these yellow dots of his fins, which aren't white but they seem to be increasing by just a few in the last couple days. It appears there are a few of these dots near his eyes and mouth area too, but nowhere else on his body. His skin on the rest of the body doesn't seem as nice (which seems to happen right before he sleeps anyways, he isn't as pure yellow, looks a bit more whit-ish when it's late), and his dorsal and back fins look...what would be the word...not the best of quality, however, I looked up photos of fin rot and it doesn't look like he has fin rot. They are not horrible but they seem slightly degraded.

I'm not sure exactly what this is. Doesn't quite look like ich or fin rot. All my levels are great. Other fish are doing well. No ammonia or nitrite, nitrate right below 10ppm. ph is good. there are no aggressors in the tank, it's just him a clownfish and a goby. The tang actually been eating normal too and hasn't been rubbing up against any rocks or anything at all so im clueless.

I set up a 10g QT and he's been in there for 2 hours now, it's not bio established but it's the best I can do. Not sure I want to add anything from the possibly affected tank to help the process. LFS is not open at this hour, I'll stop by tomorrow to buy some stuff for treating if that's what wrong. Should I try that technique of lowering the salinity below normal?

I'll try posting a photo soon, my camera has been giving me issues.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

-Dave

Old 01-30-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yellow tangs loose their bright yellow at night as this is a way to not stand out and get eatten by night predators. Lets hope this is the problem. Any chance of getting more information...water parameters, other fish, lights, size etc....

Old 01-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Yellow tangs loose their bright yellow at night as this is a way to not stand out and get eatten by night predators. Lets hope this is the problem. Any chance of getting more information...water parameters, other fish, lights, size etc....
It seemed to be the case. I noticed this before but it seemed to look worse then normal that night. I haven't moved him back from the QT tank but he looks fine now. He's been eating and acting perfectly normal. Running inside PVC for awhile whenever I get close...lol

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com