Early stages of bleaching, Preparing to rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarin man

Aquarium Advice Regular
My haitian pink tip hasnt been eating well lately and is in early stages of bleaching. What can I do to save him and keep him healthy? I have been feeding him a mixture of krill and mysis and other little shrimps and he has been healthy on that for awhile i have been meaning to switch to silversides, will that help any?

Your profile lists a LTA and BTA in a 55 gal tank. If the Haitian is in the same tank, it could also be a stress result from chemical warfare. Running carbon may help some if the anemone is not too far gone.

As far as the anemone's color, it has little (if anything) to do with what you feed. The color is mainly derived from the zooxanthellae in it's tissues which is a direct production of lighting. Much like the chlorophyll in terestrial plants, the zoothanthellae feeds the anemone in much the same way (over 80%). You can fertilize a house plant to death, same goes for the anemone. Overfeeding can cause an intense amount of stress to an anemone as it must expell the wastes.

What kind of lighting do you have?

Cheers
Steve

My lighting is plentiful i think he is stressed out. And i have sense removed the BTA he wasnt working out. But how often should you feed the anemone i have been feedind my Haitian(LTA) about twice a week. But with just brine shrimp lately because of a lack in food by my LFS I now got some silversides and he took about half a fish tonight I'm not sure I could have overfed him, but he has been very mobile, he has had one spot for a long time and lately he has been moving around and is now pressed against the glass and sand. I dont know I have never seen anything like this. He is being weird hopefully its like PMS and will be over in a week or so lol. :D

mandarin man said:
My lighting is plentiful i think he is stressed out.
Can you provide details about the light? Possibley the water specs as well.

But how often should you feed the anemone i have been feedind my Haitian(LTA) about twice a week. But with just brine shrimp lately because of a lack in food by my LFS I now got some silversides and he took about half a fish tonight I'm not sure I could have overfed him
I would think this will be a combination of things but considering the fish load, you do not need to feed the anemone directly at all. It is most likley being overfed which can kill it quickly enough.

Water flow, lighting and water specs are what will cause the anemone to wander aimlessly.

FYI, a Macrodactyla doreensis is an LTA. Using that term for a Haitian, Condylactis gigantea can be a bit confusing as their care levels are somewhat different. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom