eBay detrivore kit!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey folks. I picked a detrivore kit from the guy (Bob) who's selling it on eBay for $75.00. I met him in Philly this afternoon. All I can say is WOW :!:

I previously bought one from IPSF and one from Inland Aquatics. I though the IPSF was a little light on contents and I was pleased with the one from Inland Aquatics. This kit has so much more life in it it's amazing. I currently have most of it in a QT tank I'm using as a breeder for now. I'll transfer it into my fuge when that is set up.

Here's some pics.

Well the photo uploads are not working so that will have to wait till an admin can tell me why (they're all under 100kb).

your only at 27% of your quota so that's not it. The files, I assume are .jpeg files....how close are they to 100KB?

There there, for some reason though they are not showing in the forums, we are looking into it. For the time being you can upload them to the gallery and then link them, I am turning off the approval feature on the gallery so your photos will be available for immediate viewing/linking.

You met him in philly, sounds good, I think I might pick one up from him, I'm in philly quite a bit.

i just bought one from him it should be in tomarrow, do i need to put it in a qt or can it all go in the tank?

jerejohnson said:
i just bought one from him it should be in tomarrow, do i need to put it in a qt or can it all go in the tank?

I would think it's fine to add it to the tank.

It can all go in the tank. He suggests putting in a fuge (I agree) and turning off the pumps/PH for about 10 minutes to let things settle. The pod pile (mostly larger gravel, shells and rubble) should be put up against the front glass if you want to see the life in the large spaces between the gravel.

Bob emailed me very clear acclimation instructions too. He seems to have come down with the flu so give him a day or two to respond to inquiries.

I just ordered this kit today. Hopefully i will recieve it by tommorrow. Bob never emailed me any acclimation instructions. Cmor is it possible for you to let me know whats involved? I will be adding it to my main tank. There are no fish in there, only a cleanup crew. So i dont think it would be a problem.

Anthony

Bob never emailed me any acclimation instructions

They're probably in the box. If not, here ya go...

Please be sure to thermally acclimate each bag by floating them. Also slowly add tank water to the bags to further acclimate them before adding them to the system. Again, I suggest a slow acclimation - take a good hour to fill the bags completely.

I strongly suggest you add all the water from the bags. While this is not a typical practice, it is when adding planktonic life. This water may be very dirty by the time it gets there -- from shipping. Each bag has alot more life in it then the numbers promised in the auction. Most of these are very small so I would literally wash the bag out in the tank -- after all other acclimation procedures are completed. This will insure nothing is stuck to the side of the bags.

The bag with the plants also has the snails and loose pods. If you want to see them you must look up through the bag. You should hold the bag directly over your head and have the bag directly under a light (like a ceiling light) -- look for them on the bottom. I gave you several species of Macro. It is important not to add to much macro at once or it could absorb all the nutrients and then crash. Allow smaller colonies to grow to the extend your systems nutrient load can sustain them. You have a good mix of species. The pods will live here as well.

The sand should be added to your system in one pile -- as deep as it gets. This can be changed after a day or so but it is best to leave it in a pile initially so the critters can acclimate and crawl away on their own. Some of the worms are very small and some are not. Please try not to create to much of a cloud when you add this bag. This is where you will find tremendous species diversity. There is plenty of life in the sand -- if you want to put some in the main tank it's ok. Look for stars crawling out.

The shells are also live and house many pods and worms. Again, please put this in one or two deep piles. You might move substrate away from the front glass and add the shell pile there. Then you will be able to see the pods live and grow in the gaps between them. These shells seriously help pod growth. If you put them in a refugium, again please keep them in a pile and dont mix other substrate with them.

Please turn all powerheads off when you actually add the bags to the system -- just for 10 minutes or so. Please add the shells before the plant/snail bag and then add the plant/snail bag contents to the system directly over the shell pile. You will have a much higher survival rate if you do this.

Please contact me with your thoughts at your convenience. If there is any problem at all, do not hesitate to let me know. And I am always available for questions and want to be sure you are pleased.

Thank you

Robert Sullivan

$58 for shipping? That doesn't sound right. Did you go to the FedEx web site and enter your zip code?

Wet sand is heavy...sounds about right to me, I spent 40 bux sending two tiny nudis and a very tiny frag (had to weigh less than one of those bags of sand in your pic) to texas from FL.

The dealer said the package weighs 10lbs and according to the FedEx site it is at least $50 to go anywhere with Overnight shipping on 10lbs. This is not the dealer inflating the price this is just the price of overnight shipping.

Back
Top Bottom