Ecolibrium: NO-ICH Marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have decided do start using Ecolibrium: NO-ICH Marine to treat ich in my main tank. I have seen different threads discussing this product with varying results so I have decided that I will use this thread to document my progress (if any) with this product and update it with dosage and observation entries so others can observe my results.

NOTE:
I have read a great deal of information pertaining to the treatment of marine ich, and so far, the only proven methods of treatment that I have seen are Copper and Hyposalinity. Both require the separation of fish and inverts into different tanks. At this time I do have the equipment to do this, but I am in the process of cycling a 10gal that I will use for future QT use, this is why I have decided to use NO-ICH.

My Tank:
55gal, 150w Heater, 10Gal Americal WetDry, CPR Skimmer, Rio 1700 Pump, 36” 110w PC 10,000k, 48” 96-100w T3 2 Actinics 1 10,000k, 1” Sand Bed, ~45lbs LR, Red Mushroom Anemone, Green Button Polyps, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Snails, Turbo Snails, Fan Worms, Emerald Crab, Horseshoe Crab, Blue Linkia Star, Serpent Star, Harlequin Tuskfish, Purple Tang, Hawaiian Dragon Moray Eel. PH=8.2, Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=.15. The Tang and Tusk both have ich.

Ecolibrium: NO-ICH Marine claims directly on the bottle:
NO-ICH Marine is recommended by Marine Experts to provide a proper balance in all Fish Only and/or Reef Tanks. It will safely and effectively eliminate marine parasites such as Cryptocaryon irritans a.k.a. `white spot,’ which only thrive in unstable conditions. NO-ICH Marine can also be used prophylactically to prevent outbreaks of such problems.
NO-ICH Marine:
• Eliminates parasites while not effecting Corals, Anemones or other Invertebrates.
• Biodegrades in 4-5 days, leaving no harmful residue.
• Does not harm Fish, Invertebrates or Nitrifying Bacteria, and unlike copper treatments, can be used in FISH ONLY and/or REEF TANKS with equal results.
• Needs no costly test kit in order to provide effective results.
• Protects your investment.

DIRECTIONS:
Add 2oz/25Gal or 50ml/100L of ACTUAL water (allow for all rocks, ornaments etc.). Repeat dose on days 4, 7, 10, and 13. In heavy or persistent infestations, dose with 50% more and continue treatment for an additional 2 weeks. Do NOT use any other chemicals during treatment. No protein skimming or charcoal use during treatment, but recommended afterwards. Product is biodegradable after about 5 days. Harmless to invertebrates. For aquarium use only.
Active ingredient 5-Nitroimidazoles.

I have turned off my skimmer, and I have estimated about 45gal of actual water in my tank, so according to the directions, I will be dosing my tank with 4 – 4 ½ oz of NO-ICH. Dosing(s) will take pace at approximately 9:30 PM ET on the set days 6/21/03, 6/24/2003, 6/27/2003, 6/30/2003, and 7/03/2003.

Good luck! Just out of curosity do you perform a Freshwater dip with either Methylene Blue or Formalin prior to putting your livestock in your tank. I am also not using a QT tank but have been dipping the fish prior to putting them in the tank to try to prevent ICH and other problems.

It will safely and effectively eliminate marine parasites such as Cryptocaryon irritans a.k.a. `white spot,’ which only thrive in unstable conditions.

The key here is Unstable Conditions. There is a reason why the ICH is in the tank in the first place. Either by introduction, or Unstable Conditions or both. I hope you have good luck with it. In the same breath I have to say that I would not trust it on my investment. The sad thing is, that even if it kills the ICH, the results of the harm it could impose, will not show up immediately. It could have detrimental effects on the amount of bacteria that is on the rocks and in the sand. There is something in it to kill parasites and that something kills other things while it is on duty... I am afraid it is one of those infinite double edge swords we have to put up with in this hobby...Danged if we do, Danged if we don't...

Please keep us posted with the results and again, I wish the best of luck to your endeavor...

Unfortunately NO. I didnt know when set up the tank in Feb.
do you perform a Freshwater dip with either Methylene Blue or Formalin prior to putting your livestock in your tank.

I have given my main tank its first dose. I removed the filter pad from the wetdry filter and turned off the skimmer. I have left the pre-filter in place inside of the overflow. The fish do not seem to be adjitated with the additive in the tank, which is a good thnig. I will feed them tomorrow sparingly.

My tuskfish ate a little today :mrgreen: first time he has eaten in over a week. I have been really worried about him. The tang is still eating well. I fed them Formula One Marine Pellet by Ocean Nutrition soaked in Garlic Guard by Seachem.

I tried to feed the eel chopped shrimp, scalops and clams soaked in Garlic Guard by Seachem. He didnt like it very much. He only ate 1 piece of the scalops. Everything else i tried to feed him he bit like he was attaking it, but he wouln't swallow it. Just left it floating in the water till i scooped it out or the crabs got it.

I do not see any spots on the tang today (very little yesterday). I can still see few spots on the tuskfish's tail and fins, but its not as bad as it has been. I have never seen any indication of ich on the eel, and he still has no spots on him. The ich is probably in the sand bed at this time. I really doubt that the No-Ich has had such fast reaction in the tank. The tusk has taken to lodging himself in a vertical position at the top of the tank between the overflow wall and the return during the day (not in the current) and he is most active at night after the lights go out.

The tusk (Tyson) ate a lot today :mrgreen: . He is swimming aroung like his old self. He still has white spots on his tail and fins, but he is much more active than he has been. I'm just so happy that he is eating :mrgreen: The tang (Prince) is still eating well. I'm still not convinced that its the No-Ich thats working this fast. The parasites must be in their dormant stage. I will know for sure in a week or so. Tomorrow, i am scheduled to give my tank its second dose of the N-Ich. So far i have not seen any detrimental effects from using the product. My inverts are active, going about their business. The mushrooms are opening up nicely during the day and i see 4 new button polyps starting to sprout on the LR. So far so good.

I had to order it from http://www.aquariumpros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FIV

I am documenting my experiences with this product on RC and on www.Aquariumadvice.com, so others may learn from my efforts.

Please understand that I am not endorsing this product, nor am I suggesting that you, or anyone should use it for any purpose what so ever. I found that I was in a predicament where I have a serious infestation of ich in my saltwater reef aquarium and do not have the necessary equipment to isolate my fish in order to treat them and my main tank with the proven methods of Copper Treatment or Hyposalinity. And if you do indeed use No-Ich in your tank, you do so at your own risk.

Methylene Blue Dips

I have a 75 gal reef tank with about 6 fish, within the last two days I have lost 4 fish. I am not sure why. I do not have the resources to do a quarantine but do the dips really help and how do they work?

podo98,

There are lots of different reasons that your fish may be dying, so before you start treating your fish for any illnesses, you need to be fairly certain of what it is your fish has.

Can you give more information about your tank:

setup date

inhabitants

water parameters

equipment being used

physcal indications of illness on remaining fish

Setup date : 11/15/02

Inhabitants : Dead Tang, Dead Coral Beauty, Dead Flame Angel, Dead Goby, Living Blennie (still i hope), Living Maroon Clown. !5-20 pieces of coral, hammerhead, star polyp, finger leather, big ass leather, bubble coral, lettuce, mushrooms, frogspawn, candy coral, brain, pagota cup, clam, electric scallop, crabs, snails, shrimps

Water parameters : N/A, 82F temp

Equip: AquaC remora Pro Skimmer, two powerheads, heater, 4 vho lights 2 white two actinic.

Physical Signs : the fish guy that helps me with my tank looked at the fish and was not sure why they died. The tang may have had small white spots indicating ich but I could not say for sure.

Man Podo, im sorry to hear about your loss. Are any of the other fish that are till living showing any signs of ich, white spots like sombody spinked salt on them or scratching on rocks or the side of the tank? Do they look stressed out, swiming circles, swimming into the current? I'm at a loss honestly. I would expect the tang to chase the beauty, angel and goby, mayby to the point of death. But he is daed too. Do you have a test kit? Check your amonia, ph, nitrite and nitrate levels.

I gave my tank the second 4 1/2 oz dose of No-Ich this evening. All still looks good. The tang and the tusk are eating. The tusk is eating is really well now, but i still see the white marks on his fins and tail. With the skimmer turned off, i see a film of crap forming on the surface area of the tank water :? yuk. Its still early in the treatment, so i'm still in teh waite and see mode.

Forgot to mention that i added 15Ml of B-Ionic 2 stage Ca and Alk buffer 20 minutes after dosing the tank with No-Ich.

Quick update: Everybody is still alive and eating. I'm starting to think that the white spots on the tusk's fins are fungle infections now, not the ich parasites. I will post a pic tomorrow after i give the third dose of No-Ich to the tank.

Tonight was Dose #3 of the No-Ich. Again, i do not see any aditional ich parasites on my fish, and the white spots on the Tusk's fins and tail are still there. The tusk did not eat much today, but the tang ate very well. I took several pictures of my tank tonight, i will be posting them as soon as i get a chance. Here are my water parameters taken 1/2 hour before i dosed the tank with the No-Ich:

Ca=390, Dkh=10.4, PH=8.2, Amonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=20, SG=1.023

Today i was taking pictures of my tank to post here on this thread, and i noticed for the first time a strange mark on the tusk's body. His dorsel fin by his tail looks a littel mangled and there is an ovel shaped mark about an inch away from his tail. I think the tang is picking on him. Oh yeah...Still no signs of Ich.

Here are pics that i took on Sat. I have been using No-Ich for 9 days now.
I posted a thread with a pic showing the bite mark that i was talking about.

Ok...I called the wifee at 8:30AM, and had her add the No-Ich to the tank for me. It was only 11 hours late :lol:

Tonight is the last dosing. I am happy to say that i suffered no losses :mrgreen:
I do not see any signs of ich on any of my fish. It looks like I one of the lucky ones that this product worked for. 8O

I am not fully convinced that it was the No-Ich that did it. I am considering continuing the dosages for the extra 2 weeks, like suggested on the lable for very bad infestations. This way, if i continue to use it for next two weeks, and do not see any ich, i can be fairly certain that the infestation is gone. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom