Eel Diseases?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy,

I have 3 beautiful moray eels. 1 snowflake moray and 2 zebra morays. All of which have been in their tanks for about 8-12 months now. Over this period I have never been told about of even heard of eel diseases. Ich doesnt affect them and i know thats the main cause of death for our fishie friends. But im just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is eel specific diseases and what are the symptoms and remedies of these?

I ask this because my smaller zebra eel over the past 4 days or so has been not eating, very limp, slow and not as worried about hiding in rocks anymore.
Limp - we all know how eels stick theyre heads out of a rock or etc they seem to hold theyre heads up, whereas my small zebra just lays flat on the bottom of the tank.
Eating - hasnt eaten in 4-5 days, she normally eats every 2nd day.
Slow and not alert - when someone walks past the tank she quickly retreats back into the rockwork.

If any knows what might be wrong please help; my eels are beautiful specimens and I'd hate to lose the baby of the tank![/quote]

Hi Matt,
I read your profile and IF I am understanding it correctly, you have all the following fish in about a 75 gallon tank....

2. Nothing in this tank! Fish: 1. x2 Ocellaris Clowns, x4 Tangs (Blue, Yellow, Purple, Zebra Sailfin), x3 Angels (Emperor {juv}, Flame, Coral Beauty), Royal Dottyback, Cleaner Wrasse, Golden Head Sleeper Goby, x2 3 Stripe Damsels, x1 Flame Hawkfish, x6 Blue Green Chromis, x1 Snowflake Moray Eel. 2. x2 Zebra Moray Eels & Undulate Triggerfish.

If this is correct, you are VERY overcrowded. I would also suspect your water parameters to not be too healthy. My eels go off feed when the water quality starts to deteriorate, as the nitrates go up, their appetites seem to go down. I have often wondered if nature is trying to keep them from adding to the problem, (but that is just a little theory I have...pay no mind ;))

Please test your water and tell us what the readings are....

half those fish would have been eaten if they were in the same tank
as fas as eel dieses i would agree that its probably a water problem
id also like to add im very jellous of the 2 zebras and a snowflake no fighting occuring with 3 in the same tank i think id be to scared to add a zebra in with my snowflake

I have a snowflake, 2 fimbriated and a jewel in my tank...no fighting. Lots of rock.

half those fish would have been eaten if they were in the same tank
his list shows them all in tank #1 with nothing in tank #2

Hara, sorry to confuse you but I have 2 tanks, my 2 zebras are in a separate tank!

Parameters - ammonia nil nitrate nil nitrite nil.

I have just noticed this morning that the eel is alot more livelier.. BUT she seems to be swimming on her back and backwards?!

hey everyone, im going crazy.. after meticulously checking out my out of shape eel i noticed something which may be causing the problem. The eel is not breathing out of the left gill, only the right. The breathing is still at normal rate, but if there is a blockage how do i remove it? Will this be causing the lop sided'ness (swimming backwards upside down!!)

Pics attached

Attachments

• dcp_0122.jpg
    dcp_0122.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 113
  • dcp_0120.jpg
    dcp_0120.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 121
the blockage is removed.. i used a worming medicine used for bloat and she excreted wat seemed to be some white semi solid substance but she is still lying upside down..?

HELP ME!!

Back
Top Bottom