eel on the floor!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillyfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just found my large snowflake eel on the floor. He was about 6ft away from the tank! what could have happened to him? He was about 2 years old. I think he was happy in his home. Is this common? I found him at 7:30am it's too early for this. It took me a few to realize what it was. RIP little buddy :( :( :(

need a tight fitting lid. they are escape artists. If you don't have a tight fitting glass lid, i.e like a wood canopy, then get some of that... (I forget the term) stuff they use to put into 4 X4 foot florecent ceiling fixtures, it's got a bunch of little squares in it, some are chromed and some are plain. use the plain stuff. (available at Home depot in the lighting section) and cut it to fit inside the lip of the tank.

maybe some one else can think of what they call this stuff.

Sorry for you loss :(

Have you fully diagnosed him as gone? I have heared of eels whom are all but totally dried up that when placed back into the tank will come back in short order.

Take tims advice with the tight fighting lid. The stuff tim cant think of the name for is calld Egg crate. It might also pay to weigh this down with some rocks as the eels can be quite powerful.

Sorry to hear about your little friend :( And yes it's very common for them to go walkabout unless there is a secure cover on the tank. I've known one to escape even with all the necessary precautions, so don't beat yourself up about it.

sorry to hear that weigh it down or lock it snowflake eels are large eels so make sure you cant open it from the inside with your arm if you get another

Eggcrate would have helped. I know that doesn't help now.
Soory for your loss. :(

Sorry to hear man. I found my little guy on the floor the other day. I only had him for 3 days. I picked him up and he was dry. I rinsed him and tossed him in the tank and I couldn't believe it, he 's alive. He's a little skittish and stays at the bottom more. But he'll eat and looks to be doing better.

Back
Top Bottom