Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

effect of copper on fish

Can copper medications make fish act weak and sickly? Obviously a fish being treated is sick to begin with, but can the copper itself cause the fish to "not feel well?"

I'm treating a false perc who suddenly began acting much much worse fairly immediately after the medication was added to QT.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Which kind of copper are you using and how are you measuring the dosage?
Also have you checked you PH and ammonia? These readings can get screwy while treating.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The pH and ammo are good. The bottle says, "chelated copper sulfate," which I measured according to label directions with a measuring spoon, one teaspoonful per four gallons.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When i used chelated copper with my clown he did the same thing. I read on live aquaria that they are sensitive to copper and it has to be kept at the proper levels at all times. I also dosed according to directions, but I quickly had to do a water change because it was too much according to my test kit.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Would be better off getting some copper that you can get a test kit for like cupramine. Otherwise its pretty easy to OD the med.
Too little copper won't kill the parasite and too much copper can kill the fish.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is this generally a problem if I measure perfectly the medication? If I use 1 teaspoonful per 4 gallons, do I still run the risk of too high / too low copper?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I still like to be able to test the water when using copper. Its so critical that the level be right. Then there is the issue of redosing, water changes, etc. Too easy IMO for the level to get out of wack with a 2-3 week treatment.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com