Eibili Pygmy Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought one of these about 4 weeks ago and he has been doing well in my QT that has been established for some 6 months now. Was always going around picking at the rubble rock, sand, etc. The past 3-4 days he has been hiding and not eating. he will nibble but thats it. He didnt this when I first brought him home but once I fed garlic with his food, he took right to it. Im feeding mysis with Vitamin C and garlic. I checked the ammonia to make sure I was not incurring a spike and its 0. Its a 30 gallon long. I have run 6 other fish through it so I know its good. Temp is 80. His color is good. I do 5-8 gallon water changes every other week. Any idea as to what could be going on? are they "moody" fish per say? I have never had trates in the tank either so its not this. Any ideas?

Update: Well the fish died overnight. This is the third fish I have had do this. They live great for 2-4 weeks then literally within 48-72 hours they quit eating and die. I think I saw where this is attributed to poisening to catch the fish? Can someone confirm this? If not any ideas as to what it is? I have no ammonia or trates and the QT has been established for some 6+ months.

How are you acclimating them to your main tank? Cyanide poisoning could be a possibility. Are all the fish from the same LFS? Can you ask the owner how the fish are captured? I have read, fish caught with the use of cyanide look brighter and more healthy. They will eat and then stop eating and die. Sorry for your losses.

Roka
Im not speaking of acclimating them to the main..they dont make it that far. I acclimate them from the LFS to my QT for about 3 hours plus. He was in the QT for 4 weeks and was doing fine. I spoke to a major LFS here in the Dallas area (didnt buy the fish there) and they are of the opinion that its not poisoning...maybe just an older fish, had a parasite, etc. Im going to treat the bare tank with some stuff another LFS swears by (Quick Cure) and they said they use it all the time. I have nothing to lose as it will not destroy the bacteria base and appears they have had good luck with it. I almost went with Pimafix or Melafix..guess anything is better than nothing!

Back
Top Bottom