Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2003, 05:17 PM   #1
cj10488

Elegance Coral Whats wrong

I have had this Elegance coral for a while now and it seems as though its not opening up like it used to.. The polyps are not extending.. It shows no other signs or symptoms.. The Coral is in a high light Medium waterflow area.. It always opened up and 2 days ago it stopped.. I have attached pictures Before and After.. The only thing I can possibly think of is I saw one of my True Perculas playing with the polyps a short time bofor this started happening.. The percula has not touched it since that I have seen.. The coral acts normal Closes at night and opens during the day Just doesnt extend its polyps..

TIA,
James
Old 10-17-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How long is awhile?

My elegance would close up for a few days per month, regular as clockwork, always opend back up, and scared the hell out of me each time. However, if awhile is less than a month, you could have a bad one on your hands...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:11 PM   #3
cj10488

a while meaning about 3 weeks.. a little less than a month.. The LFS had it for about 2-3 weeks as well... Every time that i went in there it always looked healthy... Is there anything that I could do??? the quality in my tank is great and everything else seems to be doing great.. I have also attached another photo taken just now.. This is about as far as the polyps have opened up..

Thanks again,
James

I wish I would have read that the elegance corals have not been doing well lately.. All the books that I read stated that they were very hardy and easy to care for... BTW I can almost see my montipora digitada growing daily.. I notice the CA levels dropping alot faster now
Old 10-17-2003, 11:36 PM   #4
cj10488

For some reason Kevin I feel that when you said that yours used to do this a few days each month.. I feel as though this is really whats going on... But I really dont know.. Is there anything that I should do.. Or should I just sit back and monitor it... It really has me worried as I dont like to sit back and watch things die...

Any other suggestions.. btw ammonia 0 - nitrite 0 - nitrate 2ppm - po4 0.03 - CA 400ppm - alk 3.5meq/l - temp 82 - salinity 1.025 - pH 8.1

Thx Again,
James
Old 10-23-2003, 07:20 PM   #5
cj10488

RIP Elegance Coral... A lesson to All Make sure that you Read up On CURRENT information on all corals and Fish before purchasing...

James

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com