Emerald Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claudia Jean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my saltwater aquarium since February. I recently purchased an Emerald Crab, slowly acclimated, he lived two days, then died. Same with a starfish I purchased. Any ideas why they do not live? Also have hermit crabs, two died, four still alive. Fish doing fine.

I've had my saltwater aquarium since February. I recently purchased an Emerald Crab, slowly acclimated, he lived two days, then died. Same with a starfish I purchased. Any ideas why they do not live? Also have hermit crabs, two died, four still alive. Fish doing fine.

I don't know about the emeralds, but starfish are a bit of a moderate to expert care critter that prefer an established tank (or so I'm told).

I had a large blue-legged hermit that died early on, too. The guy at the LFS told me they sometimes just get caught in a bad molt that can happen sometimes when moved to a new tank. If I understand him right (and assuming he IS right), then there wasn't much you could have done. Just one of those things?

What's your tank parameters? Ph and salinity are a big part of invertebrates health along with iodine. Some fish can regulate their salt intake while most invertebrates can not. So your fish may be fine, but anything else is in danger.

Emeralds are more sensitive to water. I've had 2 recently last about a week then die while fish, red hermits and corals were fine. Apparently my ph was a little low but it was the alkaline being low that did it. I took water to my local store to test and identify since my tests were coming up ok or if ph low, it wasn't anything major. I'm adding some reef builder now to get alk and ph levels up then going to try again with emeralds.

Back
Top Bottom