Emerald Crab Lost his Pincher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenpc

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my Emerald Crabs lost his leg/pincher. I don't know how, but it's definitely off. I thought it was a molt but it was the real deal. I am assuming this will grow back? Should I be concerned?

It didn't grow back yet and he has lost another one. Looks like my other emerald crab is to blame. Any ideas?

The claw will not reappear until it molts. The regeneration process occurs under the hardened shell and cannot protrude until the soft undershell is exsposed. Give it time. If your two crabs are battling, this will most likely continue, might be an idea to transfer one to a different tank or return one.

Cheers
Steve

DOH!! just saw the date of the original post. Are you sure this is not a reoccuring problem between the two crabs? It is more than possible the appendage is there but it can take several molts before it regains it's proper size. There is also the possibility it won't grow back if the damage was deep enough.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom