Emerald crab missing legs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking around in my tank tonight and saw one of my three emeralds crawling around by his claws only...all of his legs were gone. All 3 of the ones I have in my tank are small in size. I have not added anything to my tank that would make me suspect I have a critter that is a hitchhiker on maybe some LR. What would do this? I have red and blue leg hermits...3 small fish, regal, clown and damsel. All of these guys have been together for some time. The only thing I can think of is the hermits are really hungry. I find them dead from time to time as I dont feed my fish very often or much...any ideas?

The hermits will do that sort of thing. They are very agressive. Only thier small size makes them suitable for the aquarium. If you have a sump or refugium, you could put the injured emerald there to heal.

Update...well I found out that my suspecion was right. I saw today some of my hermits after the little guy. They tore off one of his 2 claws now so all he has left is 1 claw....no legs. I feel bad for him. Have placed him a corner to where hopefully no one will get him. These hermits I have are MEAN!

Back
Top Bottom