emerald crabs dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the past week I have had 2 emerald crabs die. The water seems alright (ammonia - .1, nitrate - 5, nitrite - 0, sg - 1.023, temp - 81) I haven't added anything to the water except Joe's Juice. My chocolate chip star, hermit crabs, snails, and cleaner shrimp are all doing fine. Does anybody have any idea why they are dying?

I`ve heard that most emerald crabs eat bubble algea. Dont know scientific name.Maybe advisor can help

Any detectable ammonia is a very bad thing. Most inverts are very sensative to any NH3 levels. This is most likely the issue.

I thought the ammonia might be it, but why aren't the starfish and cleaner shrimp affected? I thought that they were more sensative than emerald crabs.

This may sound silly but are you sure they are dying? I thought that I had one of my crabs die because it looked like him on the bottom but then the next day I saw him and I realized he just shed and so after we saw him we pulled out what I thought was the dead crab and cracked it open and there was no meat or anything inside... I am not sure how he shed so well that we couldn't tell that it wasn't a real crab but I have been fooled by him a few times now and he is never dead. :)

I have had them shed so they look like there dead!!! Only to find the back was split right at the seam with nothing inside... And Ms.Emerals was in the tank still.

I thought the ammonia might be it, but why aren't the starfish and cleaner shrimp affected

they may just be hanging in a little longer.

How long have you had the emerald crabs and did you acclimate them properly?

I've had them for about4months. I've had the starfish a little longer, and the cleaner shrimp about 6 weeks. I've been keeping a close eye on the star and cleaner, and I don't see them acting out of the ordinary. I'm going to do a pwc tonight, but before I do that I will take a sample to a lfs (which I trust) to see if they get different results. I want to add a dwarf angel, but I don't dare to if there is something funny going on in the water.

my emerald crab commit suicide by climbing out of the tank some how.i have the tops closed but got through a small opening. i was walking to where my tanks are and felt something go crunch under my foot(it dont help to have hunter green carpet)i guess he was trying to get to my larger fw tank.
allen :cry:

Back
Top Bottom