Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

EMERG: dying flame angel!!! :(

Hi can anyone help please? I bought a flame angel about a week ago. He seemed to be doing great. My coral beauty chased him the first day but they got along fine after that. He did develop some ich a few days ago. But I had noticed it was all gone by yesterday. This morning I found him on the bottom of the tank breathing heavy. No signs of disease or battle wounds. Please what can I do to save him??? He's currently in QT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_gq View Post
Hi can anyone help please? I bought a flame angel about a week ago. He seemed to be doing great. My coral beauty chased him the first day but they got along fine after that. He did develop some ich a few days ago. But I had noticed it was all gone by yesterday. This morning I found him on the bottom of the tank breathing heavy. No signs of disease or battle wounds. Please what can I do to save him??? He's currently in QT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he had ich and now it's gone, you need to prepare to treat the entire tank. when the cysts drop off that is because they have completed their life cycle and have released spawn into the water column.
How big is the tank? It should be at the very least 50 gallons to house two dwarfs and that is pushing it.

Ich collects first in the gills because the fish are constantly passing water through them, so he may be breathing heavy because his gills are infested/damaged.

Try to increase the oxygen content of the water by adding air-stones and increase surface agitation, that should help a bit.
also turn off the lights in the QT to reduce stress.
Other than that just treat and watch the rest of your critters closely for any signs of parasites.
Remember, if you can see them on the fish, the tank is compromised, when they suddenly disappear, the tank is likely infested.
You may want to feed them food mixed with a garlic supplement, it is said to help boost the immune system, though that is more preventative rather than cure, but again can only help at this point.

good luck, hope he pulls through.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

one other thing, if treating him with medications, they only can kill the ich when it is in it's free swimming stage, so increase the water temp in the QT to about 82 degrees F and that will speed up the life cycle of the parasite to help effect a faster cure.

Just be certain to provide lots of oxygenation to the water.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's a 100 gallon with 40 gallon sump. Thanks so much for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 06-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hypo salinity also helps. 1.018

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
angel, dyi, dying, flame, flame angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com