Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2003, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Emergency!!! Fish Dying

(Novice) Please give advice ASAP, if possibe! I have a 135 GAL salt tank with Wet/Dry. My lion fish started breathing laboriously on Sunday and he was dead by Tuesday. I did a 30% water change this evening, assuming that there was an ammonia build up... now my golden puffer now has the same symptoms... and he's sinking to the bottom much faster than normal. Ph and Salinity are fine. Could I be low on bacteria? Is there a quick fix to increase O2 levels? Any other suggestions? This guy has been around for over 8 years and I would hate to have my ignorance be the end of him!!!

THANKS!

Mike

Old 08-14-2003, 11:06 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Do you have test kits to test for ammonia and nitrite?

What size pump is on the filter?

Is there any other water movement?

How long has the tank been set up?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:19 PM   #3

I do not have a kit to test anything other than pH and Salinity. I am not sure how large the pump is (I looked, but didn't see key demarkations) ... but the tank has been around for a few years (I adopted it from a friend). It just has the single pump for movement, but I have 2 air hoses that I can add, if need be.

Also, I took a closer look at him and it looks as if there is some brownish discoloration in his gills ... I have never looked this close, though, and it may always have been there?
Old 08-14-2003, 11:26 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

First thing in the AM, you should get your water tested and purchase test kits so you can test it yourself, there is not alot we can do without knowing more information. It could be many things. Are there any white spots on the fish?

Old 08-14-2003, 11:33 PM   #5

Thanks- I'll do that. Are there any kits that I need to test anything other than nitrates and ammonia?

As far as white spots ... there are some on the puffer, only ... but it looks like it may be part of his coat? I've had him for 3 months and there does not seem to be a noticeable difference ... but, again, I have not looked at him with "examination" in mind to this point.

FYI, the night before the lion died, I was desprate and I put in MelaFix in hopes of medicating him ... he was dead within a few hours, thereafter. I don't know if this could have anything to do with the current problem?
Old 08-14-2003, 11:43 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Ammonia, nitrite, PH and Nitrate at a bare minimum.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:33 PM   #7

SG = 1.021
pH = 8.2
Nitrate = 10 PPM (per liquid test)/160 PPM??? (per strip test)
Nitrite = .5 PPM
Alkalinity = 300 PPM
Ammonia = .10

Everything seems to look right, aside from the abhorrent strip reading. However, the more I look at the white spots, the more I'm convinced that they are Ich. I introduced the recommended amount of medication (Rid Ich+) to the tank today. The puffer is breathing a bit better, but he still sinks regularly and curls his tail (in pain?) often. He ate well tonight, but again, he does not look good. I've read some posts that recommend a quaranteen... but I'm sure that the water is infected and the other fish will get it (if they don't already have it) regardless, if I don't medicate the water? Is there anything that I can do to expedite his recovery???
Old 08-15-2003, 11:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to fernzpat
Fresh water dip, guys?

Always been one of my favorites ti kill all kinds of nasties for salt water fish. About 10 minutes in a bowl of fresh (de-clorinated!) water and repeat in a couple of days.

the theory is that salt water microbes and bugs can't take the fresh water and even most sick fish can make it for short periods of time. I have had great sucess with this method when I started my tank.

Anyone second the motion?

-Patrick
Old 08-16-2003, 02:31 AM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernzpat
the theory is that salt water microbes and bugs can't take the fresh water and even most sick fish can make it for short periods of time. I have had great sucess with this method when I started my tank.

Anyone second the motion?
This honestly would not be an efficient treatment. It must also be preformed very accurately. Not only must the water be prure, it must also be the same temperature and ph to avoid further stressing the animal.

The fish being treated must also be kept in a proper QT environment. If you continually place the fish back into the main aquarium they will continue to become infected. The parasite has many stages of it's life cycle in which only one is on the fish itself. Treating the fish is one thing but to truely be rid of the problem the tank must also be dealt with. The safest way to acheive this is by leaving the tank fallow for a minimum of 4 weeks. Without the fish host, C irritans as well as many other partasitic problems cannot survive.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-16-2003, 03:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Anyone notice that his nitrites are 0.5 ppm? This is not in the acceptable range by any means. Fish breathing fast is also an indication of nitrite poisoning, aye?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyi, dying, fish dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com