Emp. Angel color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, the time draws near to finally set up my 150gal tank. (3 weeks and counting!!)

But in the mean time, my 29gal is still going good except for 1 thing. I've noticed my baby emp angel seeming to loose its color. He seems generally happy, eats well and the like. I feed daily a cycle of spectrum thera+a/mysis/spectrum/krill (one type per day.) Suposidly the spectrum contains what fish need to keep their color, thats what it says on the container. I have frozen angel food too with sponge in it but he doesnt really seem to be excited about it. Perhaps the is the missing link? Any insite appreciated, thanks :)

What's the pH of your tank? The fading of colors can be too much light, the wrong pH, meds, same food for long periods of time or poor water quality.
What are you water parameters?
One other question, is he stressed or just a light color after waking up?

Fish color fades when a fish is stressed. It can also be faded from when they have been asleep or resting. Does the color completely return at times? or is it faded always now?

What is the situation it is in as far as aggressive tankmates etc? Is it showing any signs of illness?

well that could be it.. pH is on the low side. I just tested it the other day and wouldnt have expected it to be so low. I've got some seachem marine buffer im going to add. Good thing I asked...

He is sorta the ever-loving boss of the tank, no one bugs him really, and I have the 3 types of food they get. He still eats well.

Im going to bet its something to do with the pH. I feel like a bad parent! lol =/

edit:

ok pH is back up to 8.3 and I'll keep an eye on it the next few days to make sure its stabalized. Hopefully I'll see an improvement.

all other parameters are 0 except nitrate is 40 (ive dropped feeding down a little in an attempt to get nitrates down further, my calerpa is doing good keeping it in check)

side curiosity - if the problem is in fact the pH being low, would that affect the angel moreso than the other fish? My fairy wrasse and purple firefish are both very colorful.

edit #2

Well today I woke up to see mr angel not doing so well. Hes obviously stressed and hes starting to look splotchy and just kinda hovering under rocks. So 1st thing I did was head to the fish store and got myself a bottle of Quick Cure as per they guys recomendation, prepared 2 gallons of FW + buffer + quick cure and gave mr angel a dip for 60 seconds. There were definetly bits of white spots at the bottom of the bowl afterward so I think it at least worked somewhat. I was recommended to dip him like that 3 days in a row. Hopefully he gets better soon =/

doesnt the emp angel change its colour as it grows. im unsure but thats what i thought. depending on how old he is though. they are a beautiful fish

Quick cure????? Sounds like MORE STRESS for the fish to me.. Why dip if you don't know whats wong with the fish. Keeping Ph stable IMO is more important then reaching some magic number. And you need to check pH more then once and should check around the same time each check.
Nitrates are high IMO in a small tank this is what I would think is a issue. How big is the fish?
There is no Quick Cure in a bottle...

If you raised the Ph fast this is NOT a good thing.. This can harm fish.

Back
Top Bottom