Emperor Angel Sick in PM-Fine in AM??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollin_hard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We got a juvi Emperor Angel a couple days after Xmas we drip acclimated him but we made the mistake of entering him directly into the display tank - at that time we did not have a QT. Right after we added him our powder blue tang kept going after the angel because the angel wouldnt leave his home. We broke down 1 of my FW tanks and converted it over for the angel. We added sand and live rock and filled it with water from our old tank as well as using some of the older tanks filter media and we added Microbe Lift Special Blend, we had no time to let the tank cycle we had to get him out asap. He was fine for a couple weeks, eating great even out of our hand, we feed all our fish an assortment of frozen, flake and pellet foods, the angel has his own frozen with sponge added. The only thing he did that wasnt normal was a twitching type thing. He would put his dorsal fin up and open his gills all the way almost like he was trying to take a really deep breath he only did it once in awhile the rest of the time he was normal. My bf started noticing small dots around his head. Throughout the week they got larger and started appearing along his lateral line. Then we confirmed it was HLLE, while looking online we read about the voltage in the tank being a possible cause as well as reading in other places carbon can also cause it. So we checked voltage which was high and added a ground probe and removed all the carbon from the tank. HLLE started to heal as of now he has almost no marks left from that at all. Once that started clearing up he would start to get Ich (White Spot) every night so we stared dosing with copper. Throughout the evening they would cover him more and more but by morning they would be almost gone. This has been happening almost every night. He starts getting a few dots which cover him completely by midnight and then in the morning they are all gone by like 9- 10 am. I've been keeping copper at 2 ppm (CopperSafe). Throughout all this he has been eating really good (eats 3-4 times a day). He does start flashing in the evening when the dots are appearing but breathing is still basically normal besides the once in awhile deep breath like twitch. Every so often he does appear to close off a gill and only use the 1 side.

SG 1.023
Temp was at 78 raised to 82 F
pH 8.0
NO2 0
NO3 5
Amm. 0

Any ideas??

Sounds like ICH. I have used Garlic Extreme (by Kent Marine) to stop ICH in my system. It will help your fishes immune system. Per the instructions I used it on the food and in the water. It will not cure ICH but will help the fish fight off the infection, if it's not too far gone..

thank you for the reply, but garlic is a part of his normal diet, and has been since the HLLE started to boost his immune system( along with other non-herbal internal medications, that are mixed in his food, metronidazole and praziquantel). I feel like this fish is testing me to see if I am going to be able to care for him for his lifetime by tossing different sicknesses at me weekly!! lol I truly do hope to be able to be a good subject in my emperors kingdom! lol There was also 1 other thing that i forgot to mention in my earlier post. The fish also has had a single small growth behind his left gill , rite by the top of the opening, but not on the actual gill tissue. This unknown thing seems to go through a life cycle, it starts as a small black dot(maybe about the size of a pins tip), and over a week grows to what appears to be a cloudy air bubble the size of a pins head. he had one a couple of weeks ago that i belive grew to its full size, and one day it was gone, so i chalked it up to a 1 time occurance that the cleaner shrimp we have in with him took care of. It doesnt seem to bother him, but i know that if its a parasite it is only going to make things worse with him trying to battle all his other ailments. Plz someone try to shed a little light on what else i should try, or is he a lost cause????

Back
Top Bottom