Emperor Angel with Popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Emperor Angel about 5 years old, just noticed it got pop eye some how. its been 5 days now. The next day after I found it I went to the fish store and they gave me some antibiotic (amoxicillin) which has a dose every other day, have a supply for 4 doses. They also told me to turn my protein skimmer - dont know why, and add some extra aeration, but now my water has a green tint. I at least want to turn my skimmer back on.

Fish is just hiding in the back corner in my rocks, but he does come out to eat however very timid and picks up the small scraps instead of attacking the food as he used to. Starting to throw some food back in the rocks for him to hopefully munch on by himself. Other fish are doing just fine. How long will this last, am I treating him right?

I assume I should do a large water change but maybe after I finish the amoxicillin? Ok to add prime to keep the water clean?

I can include pics if anybody needs to. Any help would be great, feel really bad for this guy. :(

When a fish has a single pop eye, I usually mark it up to accidentally caused damage. When both eyes are infected I look for a pathogen. Your use of the antibacterial agent would help keep it from getting infected but could also do collateral damage to your systems biology. Keep the water exchanges going and find some good treats to keep him eating.

If you could catch him, a vet or other skilled person can use a hypodermic needle, a tiny one, to drain off the fluid. But that's best left to experienced hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thanks. No way I could catch him I dont think and no separate tank. He's doing ok besides the hiding. Water got a bit green I think from the amoxicillin. Did a dose tonight and a water change. Will do final dose in 2 days and another water change on the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom