Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
Liz
Aquarium Advice Regular

Euphillia (hammer) coral with white growth?

Hi all,
Just looked in my tank this evening and I noticed that my hammer coral has a white jelly/cotton wool like area growing next to it. The coral around this area is a little shrunken (not as extended as normal).
I'm going to have a look in my books later but does anyone know if this is good or bad. If its bad, what do I do?

Thanks all
Liz

Old 01-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

bad, unfortunately.

It will only be a matter of time before it spreads and kills the whole coral. I usually suctioned off the jelly, but it only bought me time.

Other hard corals could also be infected by it. Take caution.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Liz
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the quick reply. Secretly I was hoping for good news but I knew it wasn't going to be so.
Do you know what the disease is?

Has anyone else had any experience with a successful cure?

Thanks again
Liz
Old 01-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think the common name is just "brown jelly disease" and pretty much, there's nothing you can do about it. I wish I had advice for you but I don't. It hit one of my Gonioporas and a Euphyllia.

Both times it just spread further and further, even if I sucked away the dead portion.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 01-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can tell you that it comes from scraping and infecting a hard coral's skeleton. Be especially careful when placing or moving hard corals not to scratch it.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 01-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
Liz
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi again
I've just tried sucking some off with a smalll pippette to no avail. However I got my tweezers to it and the infected part came off really easily in one go and appeared as if it were part of the coral as it continued to pull up from inside the coral skeleton.

I've had the coral for about a month now and it seemed to be doing really well. However, I didn't know about problems of scratching the skeleton before you said but it seems pretty sensible. I thought I'd been very careful.

I'll have a look for pictures on the internet to see if i can confirm that it is brown jelly.
Sorry to here about your corals.
I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks again for the advice
Liz
Old 01-19-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it looks like brown jelly, that's it.

I actually held the coral next to the inlet hose to the sump and let it gently pull the jelly away. I think the brown jelly is the dead potion of the coral, but I could be wrong. It will look like the guts of the coral are being pulled from the skeleton.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 01-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's a good read on the matter:

http://netclub.athiel.com/bacterial.htm

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 01-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
Liz
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's odd because most articles and sites say that "brown jelly infections" are brown in colour - thats not what i have.

However you are right about seeming like pulling the guts away. perhaps its just a dead polyp which has been colonised by opportunistic microbes. (I'm living in hope as i don't want to loose my coral)
I have noticed that there is a bristle worm living in part of the skeleton that is exposed (prior to this is was beginning to grown back - or so I thought)
Perhaps this little worm is causing the problem - im sure he doesn't help.

I've found an articleby Eric Bournman which suggests a very quick fresh water dip. Is this something I should try?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
Perhaps this little worm is causing the problem - im sure he doesn't help.

I've found an articleby Eric Bournman which suggests a very quick fresh water dip. Is this something I should try?
Both these situations are mentioned in that article. It suggests an iodine bath (with EXTREME caution I would think). It also suggests that a bristle worms could have torn off a bit and infected it.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC

Tags
coral, growth, hammer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com