Euphillia (hammer) coral with white growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
Just looked in my tank this evening and I noticed that my hammer coral has a white jelly/cotton wool like area growing next to it. The coral around this area is a little shrunken (not as extended as normal).
I'm going to have a look in my books later but does anyone know if this is good or bad. If its bad, what do I do?

Thanks all
Liz

bad, unfortunately.

It will only be a matter of time before it spreads and kills the whole coral. I usually suctioned off the jelly, but it only bought me time.

Other hard corals could also be infected by it. Take caution.

Thanks for the quick reply. Secretly I was hoping for good news but I knew it wasn't going to be so.
Do you know what the disease is?

Has anyone else had any experience with a successful cure?

Thanks again
Liz

I think the common name is just "brown jelly disease" and pretty much, there's nothing you can do about it. I wish I had advice for you but I don't. It hit one of my Gonioporas and a Euphyllia.

Both times it just spread further and further, even if I sucked away the dead portion.

I can tell you that it comes from scraping and infecting a hard coral's skeleton. Be especially careful when placing or moving hard corals not to scratch it.

Hi again
I've just tried sucking some off with a smalll pippette to no avail. However I got my tweezers to it and the infected part came off really easily in one go and appeared as if it were part of the coral as it continued to pull up from inside the coral skeleton.

I've had the coral for about a month now and it seemed to be doing really well. However, I didn't know about problems of scratching the skeleton before you said but it seems pretty sensible. I thought I'd been very careful.

I'll have a look for pictures on the internet to see if i can confirm that it is brown jelly.
Sorry to here about your corals.
I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks again for the advice
Liz

If it looks like brown jelly, that's it.

I actually held the coral next to the inlet hose to the sump and let it gently pull the jelly away. I think the brown jelly is the dead potion of the coral, but I could be wrong. It will look like the guts of the coral are being pulled from the skeleton.

It's odd because most articles and sites say that "brown jelly infections" are brown in colour - thats not what i have.

However you are right about seeming like pulling the guts away. perhaps its just a dead polyp which has been colonised by opportunistic microbes. (I'm living in hope as i don't want to loose my coral)
I have noticed that there is a bristle worm living in part of the skeleton that is exposed (prior to this is was beginning to grown back - or so I thought)
Perhaps this little worm is causing the problem - im sure he doesn't help.

I've found an articleby Eric Bournman which suggests a very quick fresh water dip. Is this something I should try?

Liz said:
Perhaps this little worm is causing the problem - im sure he doesn't help.

I've found an articleby Eric Bournman which suggests a very quick fresh water dip. Is this something I should try?

Both these situations are mentioned in that article. It suggests an iodine bath (with EXTREME caution I would think). It also suggests that a bristle worms could have torn off a bit and infected it.

Any chance you can post pics of the affected area? I don't think this is bacterial.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,
Not at the moment no because I pulled the affected bit off. The area around it is covered by extended tentacles so i can't see the affected area properly - even at night because its not been receeding as it should since I pulled that bit off.
I'll post a pic if I get a chance.

Do you know of anything you can add to promote regrowth of a receeded area on euphillia corals?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Liz

Liz said:
Hi Steve,
Not at the moment no because I pulled the affected bit off. The area around it is covered by extended tentacles so i can't see the affected area properly - even at night because its not been receeding as it should since I pulled that bit off.
I'll post a pic if I get a chance.
You can very gentley "fan" the crown with your hand. It should retract enough to get a photo.

Do you know of anything you can add to promote regrowth of a receeded area on euphillia corals?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Depends on if it's a typical specimen or "parancora" (branching). Branching species of Euphyllia do not typically "rebound" well. If the flesh is only slight detached, it should recover though. Liquid marine vitamin C will help immensely as will feedings. Just be wary of dosage as it can affect pH. If the crown has done a complete polyp bailout, then it won't regrow.

Also be sure if it is just receded some that it's in a subdued light setting and med-low water flow where it can recover with less stress. Excessive amounts of either will cause further receding

Cheers
Steve

Hello again,

It has taken me until now to get a decent photo of the affected area. The first photo is from today and the second is from yesterday.

It just looks though parts have died (nothing else visibly wrong with it). All fish, inverts and other corals are fine.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Attachments

• coral_387.jpg
    coral_387.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 310
  • coral_002_149.jpg
    coral_002_149.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 233
If you mean the area I've circled below, it's receded. Either it had been infected or irritated causing the flesh to necros. Judging by the surrounding rock, placement could be the biggest issue. You need to be quite careful that nothing of the corals fleshy crown is against a hard surface. It tends to irritate the coral and cause this kind of recesion as will heavy water flow or coral warfare.

Place the coral somewhere it can stand straight up so only the base is supported and the upper areas are free of anything touching it. Also keep an eye on the cleaner shrimp. Although only doing it's job, they can quickly make a small problem much worse as they clean away the decaying or damaged flesh.

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• coral_706.jpg
    coral_706.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 180
Hi Steve,
The bit I have the problem with is the pale almost white part between the bare receeded part and the still healthy part. The very bottom of the bit you have circled.
The fleshy part of the coral isn't touching anything but I will reconsider it's position if this may be irritating it.

The cleaner shrimp hate it and won't go near it but I have a tiny bristle worm living in the receeded bare area which I have been trying to get rid of for over a week. Little ******* knows I'm after him.

Thanks for your help. I am considering taking it back for the LFS where I bought it as it's definanttely not a happy coral.
best wishes
Liz

Liz said:
The bit I have the problem with is the pale almost white part between the bare receeded part and the still healthy part.
This bit?

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• coral_114.jpg
    coral_114.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 249
Thanks the bit. It doesn't appear to have any other symptoms - just seems to be dying. I've had it for a month (the bare bit was bare all along - it hasn't receeded much more than a few polyps (maybe 5 - inc the ones you can see here)

Thanks
Liz

The only thing I can suggest is possible repositioning and being sure the water specs are all good including the chemistry. Although it does not seem to be necrosing (which suggests predation), some liquid vitamin added directly to the tank might help. Just be sure to remove any carbon/resin products for a few hours.

It could be a predator other than the worm you saw but the easiest means of removing that guy is placing a small piece of food in a little square of nylon stalking and tieing it. Then just place it near the coral but away from the "sick" spot. The worm will get ensnarled in the nylon and can then be removed. As always checking after lights out for nocturnal pests is advisable. Be especially watchful for nudibrancs, odd worms and snails.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you Steve for all your help you have been brillinat (and patient).
I'll follow your advice - it makes a lot of sense.

(My Dad is busy laughing at the nylon stalking - he already thinks I'm turning into a Gnome what with the little stall I sit on to watch the tank. One day I'll persuade him to move the sofa!)

Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens.
Best wishes
Liz :wink:

Back
Top Bottom