Extended Power Outage hurt Button Polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Big windstorm in DC area left me without power for nearly 24 hours Sat-Sun and tank went down long enough to cool water down to low 50's before I could get a generator on-line (~ 18 hrs). Fish and inverts made it through remarkably well as did green star polyps.

Still watching mushrooms which appear to be rebounding, but large colony of Button Polyps have yet to open back up and I fear they may be dead but don't know how to determine if they truly are. Would very much appreciate any help from the forum as to what I should be doing. Don't want dying corals to effect water quality if that is possible. Did a 10% water change this morning.

Many thanks for reading and any advice you can send my way.

-jmc

The button polyps could just be taking their time. Such a temp. flux can be stressing, but coral are pretty tough and can snap back. Give them time.

If they become slimy or if the flesh breaks apart easily...take them out. You can wave your hand over the mat of polyps to see if the flesh breaks apart. Otherwise, let nature take it's course.

My friend held onto some live rock for someone in his backyard in a hard pond liner fitted with a pump. It was fall/winter and the water was very cold. A lot of these rocks had this purple coating with little bumps. I knew it was a mat of polyps. I took one rock with this purple stuff and stuck it in my tank and in a few months time, they finally opened up. They were green star polyps. I was quite amazed. Then again...nothing about coral is short of amazing.

Here's a freak story...

A friend of mine was clearing out one of his reefs. He bleached some of the rock and there was a mushroom on one of them. This mushroom was in freshwater dosed with bleach for at least a couple of hours. He noticed the mushroom when he was rinsing the bleach water. He treated the rock for chlorine and stuck it in a tank. The mushroom made a recovery. Took a long time for it to get any of it's color back. It turned white. It was super bone white. I never would have believed it myself if I hadn't seen it for myself. This mushroom was meant to live. Now that's extreme!!

Hope your polyps wake up :) They really are tough critters. Easier to keep alive than fish.

Thanks for the reply TCT. Will keep an eye on it and hopefully will be OK.

I had the same problem with my polyps after moving. I asked my LFS. I was told to add more Iodine to get them open. Please look out for repllys on this post, I don't want you to do anything that would hurt your tank. All I know is the day after doing this they started opening up again. I'm not sure if to much iodine can hurt anything.

I had the same problem with my polyps after moving. I asked my LFS. I was told to add more Iodine to get them open. Please look out for repllys on this post, I don't want you to do anything that would hurt your tank. All I know is the day after doing this they started opening up again. I'm not sure if to much iodine can hurt anything.

Back
Top Bottom