False Perc with dorsal and ventral fins closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ammiller2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all -

New poster here, long-time lurker... I've had my 42 G Hex up and running for about 6 weeks (50 lbs live rock, 2" live sand). I've had 3 blue-green Chromis and 1 yellow-tailed Damsel in the tank for about 2 weeks...

Well, I decided to pick up a pair of false percs the other day at the LFS. They looked fine when I purhcased them, but now the larger of the two has two fairly large "pale spots" on the left side of his body. They are only visible on the orange sections. I immediately started surfing the web and am just inundated with info. Is this Brooklynella, is it HLLE, is it Velvet?

Does anybody have any ideas of what these pale spots could be? They don't appear to be raised off the body, nor do they appear that the spots will "shed". Maybe someone knows of some links with pictures of these diseases. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, I have noticed that my sick false perc is swimming around with his dorsal fin and ventral fins "closed", or pulled close to his body. I read somewhere on the internet that it might mean the fish is sick. Is this true and does that help to determine what might be ailing my beautiful fishy?

Thanks in advance.

First off Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

Could you provide some additional info about the the clown? Where the clowns properly QT'd prior to placing in the main display?

Is it eating and otherwise swimming normally, rapid breathing or surface gulping, aggression from tank mates, slimey/stringy coating, cloudy eye?

If possible, post a picture?

Also, I have noticed that my sick false perc is swimming around with his dorsal fin and ventral fins "closed",

The dorsal fin is primarily used for "showing off" or in times of aggression. It is not really an indication of a problem.

The ventral fin "clamping" however can be a real sign of a parasitic problem. I would strongly suggest setting up a QT as it will most probabley be needed.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the quick response... unfortunately, the poor fish was dead when I woke up this morning. I immediately went to the LFS and they weren't much help trying to figure out the ailment. All of the other fish appear to be healthy still. But I will be monitoring closely over the next few days looking for any signs of pale spots.

For some good news, I did purchase a cheap "all-inclusive" 10 gallon to be used as a QT. I admit that I was not doing this before and have now learned a lesson the hard way with the loss of a fish. Poor guy.

Thanks again for the prompt response. This is a great site here!! See you around the forums.

Back
Top Bottom