Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

False Percula seems different

Hi all. I have in a 20g reef tank 2 false perculas. They are unmated, but I had purchased them at different times, with one purchased at about 1" long, and did not really do a lot of mating rituals with the other. I used to be able to tell them apart, for one was more active. I cannot now. Anyway, I noticed at last feeding only one of my nemos went for the food. One did not. Yesterday, One of my false perculas hid under some live rock alll day. He still went to his sleeping area, though he just did not swim around as much. Today, the same thing. He is tucked between some live rock about 1" from the seabed. He seems to kind of tip here and there. He is breathing a bit heavy, but I've seen worse in other fish. My H20 parameters are: Ammonia-0 Nitrate 10 ( It won't go any lower) Nitrite -0 Phospate .25 (from tap water), ph8.7 and steady. I do not test for Ca yet. I also have a duncan that has not opened in a couple of days. My tank has improved, in my belief. I have not had a sick fish in my FW or SW for quite some time. I added a sump/fuge about a month ago, and have increased my CUC. I have looked up many diseases for clownfish, and none seem to match. He has no discolorations or lesions. The only thing is his mouth is open most of the time. My other nemo has that cute frown, with his mouth closed. Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

No replies. Happens to me all the time on this site. Anyway, just to add, there is nothing wrong with my duncan. It is opening today, with 2 new head sprouts on the side. My percula is still doing poorly.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sorry no one answered earlier. Sometimes the post just gets pushed to the end and no one see it.

Glad your duncan is fine. Corals can be funny sometimes and not open. But it usually opens within a couple days.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long have you had the clowns?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sounds like it could be stressing about something are they the only 2 fish you have in your 20 gallon tank?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had both clowns for about 6 months, bought one about one month earlier than the other. The only other inhabitants of the tank is my clean-up crew. simple algae eating crab and snail. The fish is still doing the same thing. His mouth is open, and he isn't swimming around a whole lot. I noticed today that when noone is looking, he was swimming at the front of the tank, and then swam toward the back when I came up to the tank. He has never been like that.That was just once though. For the most part, he stays at the back, near the intake pipe to the sump. His mouth is a bit lighter in color.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Same ones that had ich? How did you treat it? Was tank left fallow for 8-9 weeks? If no ammonia is present then I would think it is disease in the gills causing rapid breathing.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

We never confirmed the ich, for after just a couple of days of hyposalinity, there was no ich nor signs of ich. Fish have been doing great since. Earlier today, I noticed my weaker one trying to catch bubbles in his mouth. So I fed them, and they both ate. I have not seen that happen in about a week. His mouth is not stuck open, but he is still hiding....no rapid breathing at this point. just hiding.

Tags
false percula, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com